Rate Thread
R
Ralphie Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Hello.
In Leo Santucci's fabulous power manual he states that an intake manifold that makes it possible to mount three weber dcoe carbs to a chevy inline six is an excellent choice for (all out) competition use.
However, he doesn't mention anything about the option of using such a set up for street use too...
I know a lot of car manufacturers used a similar Weber set up on sporty cars back in the day(Datsun 240/280z, Triumph TR 6 etc), so why not on a Chevy straight 6..?

Any thoughts on this?
I have seen hot rods, and even early Sixties hopped up Impalas with triple webers, but I don't know much about how it will function on streets or on "normal" roads.
It seems that it is quite common to fit 45 DCOE carbs to these set ups.
Would that also work for allround use..?(e.g street/ road use, with the occasional participation at a track day? Or would it be better to "downsize" to 40DCOE?
OR, could one rejet a set of 45's to roaduse(with the possibility to "up-jet" for track days/ racing..?

I know these manifolds, and the Weber DCOE carbs are pricey, but I have been dreaming about putting such a set up on a 250 std-ld build for years, and the dream keeps coming back, so to speak:-)

If anyone have experiences to share around this topic, they will be highly appreciated.

W
Contributor
Contributor
W
I run a 292 with 3 - 45DCOE Webers. I have around 50K miles with no problems. When it was set up, we used 38 mm venturies for better throttle response.

Will Willis

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Mine are set up with progressive linkage. One hex screw and you can move the stop to adjust where they kick in. I have 3 2 barrel Rochester's and 4-71 blower on my 292.

R
Ralphie Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Thanks a lot for the inputs, guys:-)
Appreciate it.

50K miles is kind of what I wanted to hear. Thumbs up.

"There are two speeds in life. Flat out and faster."(Burt Munroe)
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
id like to see pics of that 3x2 on the 4-71 blower

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
Ralphie,
https://www.piercemanifolds.com/
This website might be worth a look. They're in California.
Must be someone in Europe deals with Webers?

Mick53,
I too wouldn't mind seeing what you have. Especially the linkage. Always a puzzle for me smile

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
W
Contributor
Contributor
W
With independent runners, you shouldn't run progressive linkage - you will have uneven mixtures. I imagine, the progressive 3-2 set-up is feeding into a common plenum (the blower), making the mixture more even.

Will Willis

Last edited by will6er; 11/28/19 10:53 PM.
M
Contributor
Contributor
M
I have always had brain lock posting pictures on here. I will try to figure it out. They sit on a manifold that brings them into a 4 bbl mount.

I don't know if this works but if you go to vintagespeed.com mine are the 5th picture down. You can see the linkage. I also have finned air cleaners for the street.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
mick53 . . . you've got the picture posting technique half licked! Just use the 4th button from the left in the posting toolbar. If you mouse over it you will see "Enter an image" click and put the URL to the photo in there.

I updated your post so that the image now displays.
stock49

M
Contributor
Contributor
M
Originally Posted By: stock49
mick53 . . . you've got the picture posting technique half licked! Just use the 4th button from the left in the posting toolbar. If you mouse over it you will see "Enter an image" click and put the URL to the photo in there.

I updated your post so that the image now displays.
stock49

Your awesome. I'll work on it so I can post my new 5 stage dry sump oil pan that came today.

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
Hi Ralphie,

This is a little off the subject. I have a 302 GMC in a 40 Chevy and have run three 32/36 Weber down draft carbs on it for about 20 years. It runs well and has built in progressive barrels running on the smaller 32mm most of the time. My best milage was almost 18 mpg in 5th gear mostly and keeping it under 2500 rpm. I made the manifold but you could modify an old GMC manifold to accept these carbs. They were on many small imports and I see them on Ebay. Radar

There are pictures of my set up at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ep38w4agbj3rkin/AABQthpPOykkjjuhVSGR NaUa?dl=O If that does not work look up Haroer Intakes (re:jalop45 #4899) 05-13-2018 in the Inliner data base. Haroer is a misspelling of Harper but it should make the look up easier.

FranK Hainey
M
Contributor
Contributor
M

Last edited by mick53; 12/01/19 01:56 AM.
R
Ralphie Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Chevelle292wagon:
Thanks for the advice about Pierce Manifolds.
Yes, their K353, Chevy 3xDCOE manifold kit is exactly what I'm looking for.
I sent them an email, and it turns out everything you see on the K353 picture in their webshop is included: Linkage, carbs(3x45s), jets, springs etc. Everything:-)
It is a pricey kit, but then again, gebuine Weber DCOE carbs are not "budget price" alone...
And I probably would have to pay just about the same price here for the carburetors(new). The manifold is impossible to source in Europe, as far as I know.

R
Ralphie Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Radar:
Thanks for your input. Interesting.
I know the Weber 32/36 and 38 series quite well. It was a popular aftermarket choice for more power on quite a lot of cars in my heydays(late Eighties/ early Nineties). They are still a popular choice for many applications. Had one installed on my first real car(1975 Opel Manta A). Great carbs!

I call the Manta my first real car, because I actually started out fixing/ "hopping up" a Beetle together with my dad(mecanic and engineer) three years before i got my driver license. But then one day(when the Beetle was ready and I was close to getting my license) I "tripped over" the Manta. And that was it:-)
Remeber, I live in Norway, so American cars were above my pay grade when i was a youngster...

Last edited by Ralphie; 12/01/19 07:58 AM. Reason: Adding information.
R
Ralphie Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
R
Love that 3xRochester set up, Mick 53.
Thanks for sharing.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
There were very similar pieces made by Mikuni (PHH) and Dell'Orto (DHLA) in many sizes that IIRC even have the Weber bolt pattern and can use the same manifolds.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (41 Coupe), 381 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available