Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Testing out the image uploading to the photo forum.

This is a NOS Carter 3211 Carb that I got for my pickup, it was rebuilt by Jon Goodman.

Heat Inlet to Automatic Choke

Automatic Choke

Fuel Inlet, different orientation from the 964S on my 235.

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Finally got this from the State of California.

They gave me some small plates to attach to the license plate to attach the tags to. First time I've seen these. cool

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That's so lazy thieves don't have to steal the while plate to get new stickers. The California Association Of License Plate Thieves probably lobbied in Sacramento.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: Beater of the Pack
That's so lazy thieves don't have to steal the while plate to get new stickers. The California Association Of License Plate Thieves probably lobbied in Sacramento.

So true, sanctuary license plate theft state... laugh

TT
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: TraditionalToolworks
[So true, sanctuary license plate theft state... laugh

Although I had my tongue in cheek on that one, it's actually not so funny...in SF they do not prosecute people for personal crimes that are less than $1000. This includes breaking windows, stealing from stores, anything that costs less than $1000 including drug related crimes and prostitution.

Boudin ran for office on not prosecuting those crimes, and was elected. WTF is wrong with this State. I just saw a video on YouTube that said Newsom passed a law that would reduce traffic violations for low income people ONLY and raise it to others to pay for it. He needs to be voted out of office in a bad way...

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Not a chance of getting rid of the Dems at this point. They finally chased enough of them to Nevada to take over last year. We are now completely controlled by Las Vegas. No one else needs to vote. New slogan: What happens in Vegas screws up the whole state!" When they get rid of the electoral college the entire country is gone.

So if you don't pay a prostitute in San Francisco is that rape or less than a $1,000 theft? laugh

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
So if you don't pay a prostitute in San Francisco is that rape or less than a $1,000 theft? laugh

I think it's worse than that, you can beat her up like a no-nothing classless pimp and walk away... shocked

To keep this on topic, got this sticker this morning at the Bay Area Inliners Breakfast...no Inliner would be complete without one of these in the window! wink

TT
1 member likes this: DoubleDingo
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: mick53
You might want to try starter shims first. Just a thought.

mick,

Where can I get starter shims for the old starters? I see some on Amazon, but not for the older 2 bolt chevy starters.

Any tips on where to get some of those?

I know that sometimes the starter will grind, and I wasn't sure if that means the bendix was pushing out too far and going past the flywheel teeth, or just what.

Can someone explain this so I can understand what I need to do in order to fix it? I'd hate to keep grinding the flywheel.

TT
Contributor
Contributor
Congrats on getting your title and such.

292 1966; 3962084 T6G2 Lumped 250 Head 1.94/1.60 gasket matched, mildly ported. LOWEBOY
Contributor
Contributor
I cringe to the stuff you guys posted about the dems and their antics.

292 1966; 3962084 T6G2 Lumped 250 Head 1.94/1.60 gasket matched, mildly ported. LOWEBOY
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: DoubleDingo
Congrats on getting your title and such.

Thanks, I am sure glad to get it...it took me some time having to get it weighed and such...

Originally Posted By: DoubleDingo
I cringe to the stuff you guys posted about the dems and their antics.

The tide is turning...the CA residents have had enough...it's time to take our state back... wink

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Let's hope. You would think with people fleeing California that those who leave would not want to make their new homes like what the left but it isn't working out that way in Nevada and Texas. Are we talking politics or news? Or how it effects our cars and their use? It is sad that the car "hobby" is so embroiled in politics because politics have taken over all aspects of life and death.

Contributor
Contributor
The tide is turning. Hoping in the right direction.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
It is sad that the car "hobby" is so embroiled in politics because politics have taken over all aspects of life and death.

Indeed it has...if only they had kept their promise with the 30 years old cars not needing smog, the fact of the matter is that they are trying to get any older cars off the road now. When I was at the DMV to get my truck VIN verified, there was a lady who had a 1985 car which she said ran fine and passed smog, but the shop that smoged it flagged the car because it exhibited some smoke. This is very disturbing as they only paid her $1000 for the car, which she claimed would not buy a replacement. So we have a car that passed smog, was completely stock but because some smoke came out the exhaust they made her take it off the road. That there is politics at it's worst and how it effects our hobby. I have a 1984 911 which passes smog, but I don't drive and is registered PNO. It could be deemed the same one day. That's worrisome.

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Only two counties in Nevada have smog regs but they both are pissed and blame their air quality on the surrounding counties who don't have enough cars to dirty the air if we all went to the cities at once. We'll have state wide smog rules at the end of the next legislative session along with California and Massachusetts gun laws. Another Virginia right here. Two Commie Counties and 15 American counties.
A couple of years ago a young friend drove his '59 Caddy to Reno. It smoked just a little at the bottom of a long hill. A local phoned the cops and they impounded his car. A cop here pulled me over because he saw smoke in a group of cars he was meeting on the road. He turned around and pulled the oldest one over, me. The smoker got away while he was trying to convince me that I was the polluter. I said," Where's the smoke? There's no smoke coming from my truck." He kept me there for several minutes revving the engine while he checked everything on the truck.He gave me a verbal warning and left. And we are supposed to respect them. Only when they respect us!

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Beater,

That's horrible, I'm not sure there's anything they can do in Cali if you own a '75 or older. AFAIK, I'm never required to smog my '46, and once you have your tags, it's just a matter of paying regs each year.

The lady I met at the DMV was the first I had heard of being flagged for smoke at a smog test that the car passed.

I saw Tesla's value as a car company went over $100B, yet he's loosing money...I don't get it... whistle

TT
Major Contributor
Major Contributor
Well so far we have no smog tests here in southern Oregon, they do in the major cities. Maybe that's why the Californians come up here and buy cars and trade in their old ones.

'45 Ford PU
66 Valiant wagon, leaning tower of power.
79 Chevy C10 w/250
02 PT Cruiser Convertable
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: jalopy45 #4899
Well so far we have no smog tests here in southern Oregon, they do in the major cities. Maybe that's why the Californians come up here and buy cars and trade in their old ones.

jalopy,

That was certainly the case 40+ years ago when I lived in Oregon for about a year and a half. A lot of people used to register their cars in Oregon as it was much cheaper and easier to register. Even back then, the migration was taking place and while all the Oregonians hated the Californians, I bet they dominate the State today.

The one odd thing about Oregon had always been that people couldn't pump their own gas, is that still true today? About 10 years ago I was visiting my sister and the attendant in Grants Pass damn near was gonna shoot me for trying to pump my own gas. I did bring back a '63 Chevy pickup, even came with a gun rack in the back window! wink

I used to live in Cottage Grove 40+ years ago, but came back to Cali as Lane County Community College wanted outrageous registration fees for school, since I was considered a non-resident.

TRIVIA: I moved up there about '77, it had been legal for girls to go topless at the University of Eugene, but several months after I moved there they put a ban on that... frown

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The Mega Tesla Factory is just over the Flowery Range from me. Nevada and Storey County gave away the farm to get them here. The promise to the County residents was that our county would be so rich in 5 years we would pay no property taxes. My taxes go up every year, Tesla has not made a profit yet. There is a huge turn around with employees and during construction there were massive health issues. There was a huge theft of material a couple of years ago just as the company was unable to meet payroll. The whole thing is as phony and the bullett proof pickup. They are making the nastiest batteries in the world with no environmental oversite.

P
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
P
I wonder if the IRS would be interested in the dates and prices of land transfer for pennies per square foot from prior owners to local party officials just prior to the deal, only to be bought for 100 × that figure by Tesla.

No, it's not a bribe - Tesla didn't pay for it, YOU did.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
There's been a lot of problems with the workers striking and protesting at the main plant in Fremont. When it was the NUMI plant, the manager for the Corolla line lived next door to me, but he moved his family back to Japan when Tesla did the deal with Toyota. Teslas are like Candy in the Valley, the immigrants LOVE those cars...I guess after you're riding a goat to work it's nice to ride a new Tesla the next month with a new job in America... smirk

At my new job there are only 8 charging stations at the main office across the street, there's a lot of electric cars, including Bolts, Leafs and Teslas. I'm not sold on electric yet and won't pay the high price for a new car... whistle

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The batteries are NASTY and you can not buy a replacement set if you wanted to. Where do the owners thing the electricity at the charging stations comes from? How big of a load is there on the power grid when everyone gets home from work and plugs their car in. I saw a video of a service company that goes out to save stranded electric cars with dead batteries. The charge them with a diesel powered generator.

Contributor
Contributor
Yep all those batteries are great for the environment, just ask them, they'll tell ya...

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I just put 100 amp service in my garage for a future electric.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I wish I had that option if it didn't mean I'd have to have neighbors.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
I just put 100 amp service in my garage for a future electric.

I'm putting a 320 amp circuit in the house I'm building so I can use 100 amps for 3-phase machines (55amps continuous 3-phase) using a digital phase converter.

I'm not sold on electrics and can be happy driving my 'ol '46...but I do need 3-phase to run my industrial machines. smirk

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have a 10X 37 lathe, and decent size drill/mill, drill press, blast cabinet, 6x48 belt and 12" disc sander, Hobart wire feed welder.,20 gallon compressor, bench grinder, wire wheel, and lots of hand tools that I run on a 40 amp 120 V system. Can't run it all at once but I can't use more than one tool at a time. I'd like to have a bigger compressor and better welder. The rest is fine for me. I have a big blue Miller welder 10KW power plant that will take on the bigger jobs someday.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
beater,

I run my machines at home on a 30 amp dryer circuit, I run a 7-1/2 HP RPC on it to power up to 5 HP machines.

I have a Rivett 1020F lathe, one of the finest toolroom lathes made in America. It came out of the Hershey factory in Oakville, CA when they closed it down...

I picked this up for the new shop a few months back:

36" Moak bandsaw with a 7-1/2HP 3-phase motor.

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have gone to some auctions lately with my son who is assembling tools for his shop. His place is filled, my place is filled and he has some at a friend's place. There are so many quality tools and tooling out there with shops going under and what shops are left going totally to CNC. Some is selling for less than scrap prices and a lot not selling at all. Almost all of my machine tools came from a friends custom gun shop when he closed it. He mostly built custom 1911 Colts. The tools are good enough for me, way more accurate than I am. laugh

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
beater,

My theory has been, first built the shop, then build the house.

I want to get my basement setup as the new shop, then build the house on top of it. I have the log shell up to the top plates, but have quite a bit more work to do in order to turn it into a house.

My first industrial machine was a Yates-American G-89 table saw, I drove up to Sparks, NV to fetch it...5HP direct drive saw that will take an 18" blade. The fever was started...

I've built a few 1911s, not easy firearms to build. John Browning proved it's hard to distinguish between genius and idiot savant. He was certainly one of the most brilliant firearm designers, but for anyone that has built a 1911 and understands the complications of the angles on the ramps, barrel, lugs, et al, this statement makes perfect sense.

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I'd be afraid that if the shop was done first the house would never be done. But I've been living in a place for almost 50 years where neither are done. The yard is a mess too.

That is quite a saw. I got my band saw out of the back of the shed yesterday to clean it up for the Chevy wood project. Also checking out the table saw to see if I can make it work again or if I need to get another one. I cut too much firewood and aluminum with it.

Browning was certainly on the genius side maybe with a touch of savant. It would be interesting to know how his designs came to him. In some cases they seem to come from nothing before them and other times he improved what he and others had done. Complication didn't slow him down. Rather than simplify the complication he often just made it work anyway. It is amazing how rugged many of his designs are. A good old loose rattling 1911 will just keep going.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
beater,

I have some woodwork to do on my Chevy also, gonna buy the metal strips and cut the wood for the bed, and I need to cut some kick panels for the cab as well.

The 'ol '46 is gonna take second fiddle to the house...but in the end I just want a simpler life...building stuff at the lake... whistle

A friend of mine has a car hoist in his shop, I'm thinking about asking him to help me swap out the ring/pinion on my rear end.

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Life would be easy if we only had one project at a time. Progress is often a little here and a little there but it's all progress. If you can find friends to help you can sometimes make more progress and enjoy being with a them at the same tome.

Years ago I redid the wood in the bed of my '53. I bought a kit and new metal strips. I had the strips powder coated. It didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. The wood didn't either. I just treated it with wood preservative and sealer. I have a '50 GMC that I got for parts. The original wood in the bed is almost as good as new. It was painted with a paint that looks a lot like what is on the good wood in the '26 roadster. I'd like to know what that is. I thought about doing the bed with some of the new decking material.

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Life would be easy if we only had one project at a time.

Ain't that the truth...I just called my contractor to find out if the electrical is in yet, but no it's not...so still waiting on that piece for my lake project.

I have a number of project on my pickup that are lining up as well...so the backlog is building... blush

Progress is often a little here and a little there but it's all progress. If you can find friends to help you can sometimes make more progress and enjoy being with a them at the same time.

Funny you mention that, I have a friend that has a car hoist in his garage. He's having a get together and requested that if anyone had a project that some of the people could get together and work on, maybe we could plan something out...it's all metalworkers, but there's a few different things that needs to be done in regards to fabricating...including welding some type of angle along the bottom of the cab and fabricating something to hold the seat in place.

I'm thinking with some help it might be possible to get the ring/pinion, carb/hard-lines, welding to fix rust, and seat mounted in the 'ol '46 that there could be something for everyone and it might be able to get done in a day.

Years ago I redid the wood in the bed of my '53. I bought a kit and new metal strips. I had the strips powder coated. It didn't hold up as well as I thought it would. The wood didn't either. I just treated it with wood preservative and sealer.

I'm thinking to use resin on it, possibly West Systems. I have some strips of hard maple that I think would work out nicely.

I have a '50 GMC that I got for parts. The original wood in the bed is almost as good as new. It was painted with a paint that looks a lot like what is on the good wood in the '26 roadster. I'd like to know what that is. I thought about doing the bed with some of the new decking material.

Mine has been redone before, possibly when the PO put the gas tank in the bed, but the wood looks like skis with the ends all warped up...I know I can do better than that! smirk

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
If it wasn't for previous owners our old cars would be like new. smile

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club

LOL. It's a great line Beater. But it does cut both ways. If it weren't for previous new car owners there would be no used cars . . . suffice to say the fewer previous owners the better?

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I don't know how that works out either. I have 3 dead ones in the yard that I bought new. I've got to learn when to trade them in. laugh

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted By: stock49

LOL. It's a great line Beater. But it does cut both ways. If it weren't for previous new car owners there would be no used cars . . . suffice to say the fewer previous owners the better?

I completely agree stock, because no more new cars for me. I'm through buying new cars, the last one I bought was in '92, and I was forced to retire it due to an accident that wasn't my fault. The insurance company totaled it and only paid me $2500 in 2015, I paid $28k for it new in '92. I put 200,000 miles on it (Toyota Previa). No more new cars for me, so good to all people who buy new cars...and will sell them to me used. grin

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I buy new cars but I don't buy new guns. smile

Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I buy new cars but I don't buy new guns. smile

I don't buy new cars (anymore) and don't buy any guns...I make 'em... smirk

TT
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 312 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available