Rate Thread
#97716 11/24/20 09:51 PM
T
Torqued Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Have a 302 Military engine and using a civilian oil pan which requires drilling the hole in the block for the dip stick. Does anyone have the measurements for this two step hole?

R
Contributor
Contributor
R
I have a 302 military engine with a civilian oil pan. Unfortunately, I can't remember having to drill a hole for the dipstick. I put the GMC in my 1940 Chevy in 1992 and it still runs strong. I do remember installing a new tube into the hole and figuring out how long to make the tube to give the correct reading when the pan was full with 6 quarts of oil.

I just measured the tube. It has a 3/8 inch O.D. and a 19/64 I.D. The tube is exposed 3 inches above the dip stick casting. The tube is inserted into the casting 3/4 inch. The dip stick length is 13 inches from the top of the tube down into the oil pan. I think I used a civilian GMC tube and dipstick.

Hope this helps.

FranK Hainey
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
If there is a boss on the block I'd drill it but if not I'd find a fixture from a vehicle that mounted ti dipstick on the pan.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
T
Torqued Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
There is a boss on the block but never drilled because the dip stick is in oil pan on the military. I recall a post stating he had the measurements for the two step hole but can't remember where I saw it. Hole measurements should be fairly straight forward but though maybe someone already had them then I wouldn't have to re-invent the wheel.

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
This may have some information. Crazy when it's easier to do a Google search to find info here than to use our search engine.

LINK

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1 member likes this: Barcho
T
Torqued Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
T
Thanks for looking that up. I knew I'd seen that info somewhere

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Glad to help, There is so much information on this site that is very hard to find. It used to be easier but they made improvements. laugh

1 member likes this: Barcho

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available