Print Thread
Rate Thread
B
BD1 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
I am looking to swap an SM465 into my CJ2a behind the chevy 153 that's in there. Both advanced and Novak make an adaptor for the SM465 to my dana 18, but to mate up to the 153 I either need to have the bearing retainer turned down a little and the bell housing locator hole opened up a little, or I need to find a compatible bell house from a late sixes/early 70's pickup that had the SM465 in it originally. To me it makes more sense to find the compatible bell housing.
Does anyone know what casting number that manual tranny inline six pickup would have had for the bell housing? Although I haven't counted the teeth, I am relatively certain that the 153 still has it's original flywheel which should be a 153 tooth wheel. And the bell housing that's on it is the style where the starter bolts to the bellhousing rather than the block.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Now I see. I think in your Jeep the little 4 might like the bigger fly wheel for a little more grunt. That would make it easy. I just got one from either Jeggs or Summit that takes the small clutch. I think I can find the number if it would help.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
B
BD1 Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
B
from what I've read, the 153 tooth stock flywheel on my 153 I-4banger is actually heavier than the typical 168 tooth flywheels. My understanding was that this was to help dampen the inherent vibration of this engine, (similar to the heavy flywheels on the 225 odd-fire V-6 motors). As it seems to run relatively smoothly for what it is I'd like to retain that flywheel. I don't see the smaller clutch as a big disadvantage as even with a Clifford intake and headers I'm unlikely to get more than 120-130HP out of this, and the CJ2a is not much over 2,000 lbs total.
What I am hoping is that at some point between 1963 and about 1972, Chevy or GM put the SM465 behind an I-6 or SBC with a 153 tooth flywheel. If the bellhousing for that Unicorn actually exists, (maybe all the SM465s went behind 168 tooth flywheels?), I'm hoping someone here would know the casting number, (or maybe year and model?), to help narrow down the search. There are lots of used bellhousings out there, but very few sellers post the ID of the tranny locator opening, or what the OE tranny was.
153s in general are getting pretty rare as the sprint car racers used them heavily in the late 60's and 70's. The mercruiser 120s and 140s up to the 80's are basically the same motor, but of course they do not come with car bellhousings, (or manifolds, but that's another topic).

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have never heard that about 153 fly wheels. All of the listings I have seen have been the same as small blocks and L6s. I am sure that there is a 168 tooth that will match or exceed the weight of the one on the 153. If I can I'll weigh on from a I53. I have a couple around somewhere.

OK, did some reading and it does look like Jeep used a heavier fly wheel when they used the 153. I doubt that it is heavier than the 168 toor wheel used on GM 350s in trucks. Here is a Jeep thread that you may have already seen but may have some helpful information.
JEEP

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 02/05/21 04:11 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
1 members (stock49), 161 guests, and 42 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available