Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Greetings . . .

I was surprised to see a dual point distributor on ebay today that has very curious 'mirrored' point sets:
Dual Point dizzy on eBay

I am running a dual point conversion on my 216. It uses two stock point sets as discussed here Inliner's Post circa '13

The dizzy on eBay looks like the Harman Collins advertisement from yesteryear:

The stock point set is on the left (in the top photo) and on the right (in the bottom photo).

Does any body know where the other point set is sourced from? It looks like a Delco plate is securing the point sets.

Curious,
stock49

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I'm in the process of rebuilding the V8 version of this unit for my '27 Model T project, Using a 348 V8 in that one. The eight cylinder version is Delco part number 1110891. Those are stock style points and you can get them from Chicago Corvette. I bought two sets Friday along with condenser, one bail, (hold down clip for the cap) and new hold down screws for the points.

I ran one of these distributors for years!! It went into six or seven different engines over about fifteen years, including a couple of pretty sporty drag cars. I had it set up professionally and dialed in on an old, (wasn't old back then) Sun distributor machine. Never had to replace points or condenser and it was steady all the way to 9,500 RPM!!

EDIT! When I finish getting this one reassembled, I'll take it to my buddy Jimmy Bridges in Nashville. He has one of those old Sun distributor machines and I use him and it religiously when I have distributor work to do.

Last edited by Blackwater; 02/07/21 10:24 AM.

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary
stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
1956 was the first year that Chevrolet shipped a factory dual point dizzy – part number 1110879. In ’57 the distributor was updated in some way to warrant a new part number (the one you mention) 1110891.
TOCMP - 1957 Parts Master

But there is only one part number for the point set - 1938330:
TOCMP: 1957 Parts Master
so both sets are identical – not mirror images of each other.

There is NOS available on ebay:
eBay: NOS Delco Point sets

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Got a part number or a serial number on the 6banger distributor?? I have a small cache of old forklift and generator power plant parts and a buddy with some old parts books.

stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Curiosity got the best of me. I made an offer and bought it. I will post some pics after I tear it down.

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I got new points and some other small parts for the one I'm rebuilding, yesterday. It's for a V8. If you need help finding parts, holler at me!!

Last edited by Blackwater; 02/12/21 11:36 AM.

stock49 Offline OP
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
I’ve got my hands on the mysterious dual-point dizzy and I have good reason to believe that it is an example of the Harman-Collins speed part from back in the day.

Delco Remy made a variety of distributors based on the same basic foot-print – many for non-GM marques - each carried a unique model number. AFAIK the last year for the external riveted brass tags for Chevy was in late ’48 early ’49 production (1110 prefix model #s). Strangely, the ’57 Parts Master suggests that the dizzies for ’53 were the first with no external tag . . . (part No. on plate) . . . AFAIK the transition occurred much sooner in ’49 (1112 prefix model #s).

This example is model 1110008 – designed for ’37-’39 216 – it was California Bill’s preferred dizzy because of the advance curve. Note the orientation of the hot-wire stud and the grease cup.

Now look closely at the same orientation in the Harman-Collins advertisement:

The conversion process included welding the stock hot-wire stud hole closed and creating a new one about 90 degrees away from the stock location. Another major difference is the size of breaker-cam:

The stock cam is a small flat sided affair with very pronounced sharp peaks. The Harman-Collins cam is much larger in diameter with a more gradual rise to less pronounced peaks. With the placement of the points 180 degrees apart it would seem that the breaker events would be almost simultaneous. But as we’ll see when we inspect the point sets (and placement) there is a leading set and trailing set.

For comparison’s sake lets look at some stock plates first:

The early plates have no markings whatsoever as the model & serial numbers are on the external tag – moreover Delco changed the design of centrifugal advance weights sometime in the early 50’s eliminating the extra riveted payloads – leaving just flat stock. Note the placement of the point set – very close to the center of rotation – with the hot lead and capacitor/condenser lead attached directly to the hot-wire stud. On a side note, I prefer the Delco original point sets (with the bakelite cam follower). They don’t seem to wear at all if kept lubricated. While the later aftermarket nylon style wear out quickly – they seem to succumb to heat regardless of lubrication.

Compare both with the Harman-Collins modified plate:

it is based on a Delco 1112353 model – late ’49 early ’50 216 applications. The stock fulcrum is retained but the point set is rotated away from the center (given the larger breaker cam). A new eccentric adjustment is fitted and new lockdown set-screw is fitted just to the north and east of the (now vacant) stock eccentric hole. Opposite the stock point-set location is the now empty condenser retainer screw hole. In the adjacent open real estate is a second fulcrum post (of larger diameter) positioned closer to the center of rotation. An eccentric and a lockdown set-screw are also fitted (partially obscuring the model/serial numbers).

The engineering and construction seems quite sound and well executed:

designed to hold the point-sets firmly in place and thereby holding tune.

As for the point sets – they are both transplants from other stock OEM applications.

The set on the left seems to be repurposed from 1940’s Caddy:
https://brillman.com/product/autoliteprestolite-distributor-contact-points-3/
The set on the right seems to be repurposed from 1940’s Buick/Olds/Pontiac
https://brillman.com/product/delco-distributor-autolite-contact-points/

The design is well thought out and professionally executed. The presence of a Scintilla condenser a cherry on top!

B
Contributor
Contributor
B
Really interesting stuff!! I believe that your observations are correct and that this IS a professionally modified unit!!

GREAT FIND!!

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available