Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
J Gregg Offline OP
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
The Crown Victoria suspension from the 2000's is a pretty good fit in the 40's Chev frames. The nice thing is that the level portion of frame where the original knee action crossmember is bolted is in the correct location to accept the Crown Vic.
The pluses for the crown Vic are 12" brakes, R&P steering, aluminum crossmember and lower control arms, low cost from junk yards and good service parts availability. The minuses are, It's too wide and needs to be narrowed, 16" minimum wheel diameter, should use deep backspacing (flat outside) wheels.
To fit the Chevy, I narrowed mine by 4-5/8" which coincides with mid 90's T-Bird or Mustang R&P and sway bar from a T-Bird. To narrow the crossmember I cut it and made bolted splice plates to rejoin the halves. These are bolted with 1/2" GR-8 bolts and deep nuts with hardened SAE washers. When mounting the crossmember I used the CV anti-crush tubes recovered from the CV. They are easy to cut out of the CV with a hole saw that just fits over the top as they are only welded in at the top of the frame. The lower arm rear pivot bushings were modified to bolt to the existing frame holes for the Chev K member arms which need to be removed or modified. I was making a new trans mount crossmember anyway and mounting the master cylinder to the firewall. I'm also using Moon disks to hide the wheels that don't look right on an old car.
I also made a new crossmember from square tube to mount the radiator horse collar. If anyone wants to do this I can provide drawing files to have the splice plates and lower bushing mounts CNC cut.

Last edited by J Gregg; 04/11/21 05:01 PM.

Cheers John
D
Newcomer
Newcomer
D
Love the build and the outside of the box execution. Keep us updated.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Very nice work and a lot of it. I had a '41 Coupe with a 261 way back. One of those I wish about. smile

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
My friend did a Crown Vic on his 60's Suburban. It has several advantages and has replaced the Volare as the best upgrade choice in a truck. It has

disc brakes
power rack / pinion
aluminum bolt-in Xmbr
commonly available replacement parts
good geometry

He also replaced the rear end with a CV unit so he could have a common wheel bolt pattern and good choice of ratios.

FORD 300 inline six - THE BEST KEPT SECRET IN DRAG RACING!
Contributor
Contributor
Nice upgrade! Looks great!

292 1966; 3962084 T6G2 Lumped 250 Head 1.94/1.60 gasket matched, mildly ported. LOWEBOY
B
Contributor
Contributor
B
I'm in the middle of my third C4/5 Corvette front suspension transplant. It's more work than the CV unit, but the handling on the other two, a '56 Ford F100 and a early 70's Mustang, was really impressive and the ride with adjustable coil overs is better than my wife's Enclave!

The latest transplant is my most ambitious. I'm putting C4 suspension under a 1929 Ford Tudor!!

That little Chevy in the pics is OUTSTANDING!!

Never use a minor caliber bullet on a major caliber adversary

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 156 guests, and 47 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB, Steve83
6,783 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available