Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Picked up this Old circle track engine. Not sure when it was put together. Will try and figure it out. From first glance it looks like a 230. They did use a Integral engine block. They are cast different than standard blocks.
Forged pistons
Aftermarket rods
Solid roller cam
Dry sump oiling
Duggan Head with a 4 BBL intake
180 degree headers

Will be taking it apart to inspect. Then correct any problem and reassemble. Then get it started up.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Great find! Post pictures of the teardown and fix. Now with whatever CNC Dude has of the Dugan/ Deppi patterns something could happen. There are 3D printer guys out there ready to jump on parts that people are choosing not making. My son and friends are consulting with a foundry in our area. It's a new word. I just bought a Clifford timing cover and they want to look at it.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
CNC Dude does not have the Deppe patterns any more.

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Maybe you'll be able to reverse engineer what there is a market for. It would be fun to gear it run. Is there a dyno test in the future?

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
OP Offline
1000 Post Club
Larry has all the patterns now. Hopefully making parts. We could help sell them here on Inliners.
Beater,
I have a few choices for intakes on the Duggan head.
single 4 BBL
Triple side draft webers
Triple side draft EFI webers

I do plan on doing a video with a walk around of the engine as it sits and then more as we tear it down. Want to nail down when it was built and ran. We will then reassemble it to be fired up. Will also have video of that. Should all be fun.

Unfortunately no dynoing of it. My buddy Bob recently died and he has the dyno. In fact just bought a new Superflow. He will be missed.

Inliner Member 1716
65 Chevelle Wagon and 41 Hudson Pickup
Information and parts www.12bolt.com

R
Active BB Member
Active BB Member
R
Hi Tom,

Very nice find.

Are you going to convert it to a 250 or keep it as is? It is definitely a piece of inline history.

Regards,
Rick

Inliners #6543
C
Contributor
Contributor
C
"From first glance it looks like a 230. They did use a Integral engine block. They are cast different than standard blocks."

Could you explain this a little further?
I'm not sure what that means.
Is it just the head made by Duggan, or the block too?

Cool project.

Pete
64 Chevelle
61 C30 Panel truck
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Tom, Sorry about your friend. It's is tough to lose the ones we depend on and that add to our lives. It's happening far too often.

I forgot that Larry got those patterns. I got a Duggan 4 cylinder valve cover but would need to make an adapter to use it. Maybe later yours looks very nice and fits. I'm looking forward to your reports on that engine. There are things to be learned and documented there for sure.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Yes, Larry is now the Deppe/Duggan man! He got a few patterns for some siamese head products as well that I let go of also. He could quit his day job anytime now....! LOL

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
It is strange how these kinds of things pass from one knowledgeable inliner to another yet so little is known or at least written about their actual creation and development. There are a few articles that somewhat tell of their success yet not details of how it was achieved. A lot of what is written is debated by others. So many racing secrets have been taken to the grave.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There is quite a bit of history in the last updated edition of Leo's book about the Duggan stuff. Joe told me a lot about it also when I bought those patterns from him, just hard to decipher what he told me is/was fiction or fact!

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
1000 Post Club
Online Content
1000 Post Club
Exactly my point. Did he know? Did he remember correctly? Did he not want to pass it on? It isn't just him. I've know several old racers and none of them were willing to give it all up even when they hadn't raced in years. Maybe Bob Ruffi in an old video was an exception.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 533 guests, and 35 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony
6,785 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available