Print Thread
Rate Thread
#990 08/28/03 11:39 PM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hey fellas,My new 292 is cutting out under load.It has been fine but just started this.It acts like theres water in the gas but I don't think this is the problem.It only cuts out when I drive it so I'm having a time figuring out whether it's fuel or fire.If I have it running in the yard and rev it up or let it idle it won't mess up.I was thinking of replacing the fuel pump to rule that out because the cost is not much or I guess i could hook a fuel pressure gauge inline and run it to the cab and watch it.I imagine the accelerator pump could possibly be the cause if it's fuel related also.I have a hei distributor with external coil on this engine also.I have also thought about this and wonder if the coil or module would just go out period or could they cause this cutting out?Like is mentioned earlier when I accelerate it starts cutting out bad and the engine will stall if I don't let off the throttle but in the yard at a standstill idling or revving it up nothing happens.If any of you guys have had a similar problem or have seen this before please let me know your experiences.Thanks in advance for any replies..........Gerald

#991 08/28/03 11:55 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
You can do a fuel delivery check on the pump by idleing the motor for a couple minutes, then shutting it down. This is only to fill the carb bowl. Disconnect the line to the carb and attach a hose with a pressure gauge. Start it up and read the gauge. Shut it off again right away, pull the gauge out of the hose and poke the hose into a small jug. A 1-quart oil bottle works fine. Start the engine again and run it until the fuel in the carb runs out and it stalls, or until the jug is close to full. Either way, watch how long it takes to stall or to pump out 1 pint of gas.

The fuel pump should move at least 1 pint in 15 seconds, and the gauge should have read around 4 to 5 psi. If the delivery is low, then it's a bad pump or look for air leaks in the hoses before the pump (this goes all the way back to the tanks). If you have a filter before the pump, take it out and throw it away. NEVER put filters before the pump, only after. If the pressure is less than about 3 psi, replace the pump.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
#992 08/29/03 02:02 AM
Contributor
Contributor
It does take more fuel to go under load. I would look at the filter. Also be sure you accelerator pump is ok by looking into the carb throat and more the levers.... should see a quick shot of gas. The accelerator pump is working some or it would hesitate in the yard too.

Clyde

#993 08/29/03 05:04 AM
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One other thing to check/try. Is ran into this problem more then one time. Once with a new cap a rotor Is the rotor was bad even for being new. It would miss under a load only. I put the old stuff back and all was fine. So i took the cap and rotor back for a different one and Installed it and All was fine. If a small hair line crack is there Even if you can't see can raise all kinda Hair pulling. So this is just somethings else to Look for That may not be the problem But ya never know It always seems to be the Real simple this some times. Hope this helps }[oooooo]

------------------
NovaMan/Twisted6/Larry

Larry/Twisted6
[oooooo] smile
Adding CFM adds boost smile
shocked God doesn't like ugly.
#994 09/01/03 12:44 AM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Hey fellas,I put my old point type distributor and coil back in my engine and drove it and it still cut out so i figured that this should eliminate fire.I had the breather off the ol rochester monojet and pushed the throttle several times and on the third try no gas came out so I decided to rebuild the carb and go ahead and get a new fifteen dollar lifetime warranty fuel pump while I was at it.I built the carb and put the fuel pump on and added some heet to my tank and drove it and bingo no cutting out.I drove it about fifteen miles and put it under alot of load and one time it backfired thru the carb and cut out a little.A friend of mine says since my ol truck sat up almost a year he bets that it's water in the tank........hence why I added the alcohol.Oh i forgot while I had the fuel lines off I drained 2.5 gals out of the tank hoping if there is any water alot of it would be on the bottom and come out.Its running good now accept for the one incedent of cutting out which was nothing like it was doing before.Before it was about to cut off and i had to limp home at fifteen mph.The time it cut out today it was at 50mph and when it did if for about two seconds and went away.Well I thought I'd bring y'all up to date on my endless 292 in a k-10 mud truck saga......I guess I'll run a couple tanks of premium through it with alcohol added each time and hope this solves the problem.Now if this problem doesn't reappear I've got to fix that whistle from my plugs in the ol 292 head.Ya'll take care and thanks again for all you guys help.........Gerald

#995 09/02/03 03:06 PM
J
Contributor
Contributor
J
Gerald....... don't run alcohol too long in that tank........ it has a tendency to eat up the coatings on the metal, and then you'll battle rust until it eats a hole through and then you can replace the tank.

Use a gasoline stabilizer specifically designed to emulsify water into the gas.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153
#996 09/03/03 12:50 AM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
Well I drove my truck another twenty five miles after the last post I made and the son of a gun started cutting out again.I guess I'm going to try another carb.Now it's cutting out under heavy throttle only.Sheesh..........Gerald

#997 09/03/03 12:55 AM
S
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
S
I Forgot to add has anyone ever had a water heated stock intake manifold cause cutting out in the summer months in the South?

#998 09/03/03 03:19 PM
Newcomer
Newcomer
Don't know if this helps but I had a similar problem that was driving me crazy for weeks.

I discovered that my gas tank - fuel pump fuel lines were rotted just enough to allow some gas to flow to the pump, but not enough for reliable delivery. It seems that RUST was the only thing holding the line together bbecause when I had a good look at the lines tthey looked like swiss cheese.

What you can do to eliminate delivery to the carb and the pump is to run a hose from a portable gas can connected directly to the fuel pump (disconnect the line to the tank). If it is getting good delivery then you can isolate your problem to either the gas tank or the line. Just be careful with the open can of gas and have a fire extinguisher handy, just in case.

Moderated by  stock49, Twisted6, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 272 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101
6,786 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available