Print Thread
Rate Thread
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Hi folks,

Further to my post a couple of days ago on a head gasket for my sprint car motor (thanks so much for your help on that), I am looking at what options I have regarding the transmission.

The car currently has an approximately 9.1/4" long in-out transmission (including spacer flange) with a dog type adaptor bolted to the crank. There is a motor plate to hold the back of the engine to the frame. The rear of the transmission mates up to a torque tube drive shaft.

I would really like to run a clutch steup of some sort and even a sarter motor if I can. This mod would mean that I could enter the car into lots more events and it would also make it safer and simpler to work on, tune up etc.

Here are some pictures of what I have in the car now...
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Can any of you gurus suggest what I could do to fit a clutch in there somehow, please? I have no idea what would have been historically in these types of cars. There is clearly a hole for cluch shaft in the side of the casing, but I can't find a number or brand of any description anywhere to give me a starting point.

Any help would be really appreciated.
LT

Last edited by littleterry; 03/21/22 05:35 PM.
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
That is a cool setup. For other events do you want a transmission or is in & out OK? To run a traditional clutch you would need a flywheel and pressure plate. That would add length especially if you added a bell housing and transmission. There were in & out clutches on old tractors we had when I was a kid. It depends on how much change you are willing to do. With just a clutch I don't know if you could start from a dead stop. There might be a high/low box that would work.

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 03/22/22 04:25 AM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
A single gear would be ok, as the motor has plenty of torque and the quick change rear end will allow a degree of tuning. What I really need is the ability to start from a standstill without a push vehicle. Also an electric starter sot hat i can get the motor warmed up in the paddock. I could maybe edge the motor forwards an inch or so, but not much.
At this stage i would consider anything as a step in the right direction.

1 member likes this: TraditionalToolworks
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have an old Hercules 4 cylinder that once ran a welder. It has an in & out unit on the back that looks similar to what you have. I don't know how it works it is stuck now. I found another link that shows some clutches. LINK

Here are some pictures that may gove you an idea. Mine has a place on the housing for a starter but nothing inside with teeth. SMOKSTAK might be a good place to search.[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 03/22/22 07:52 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
One more more.
[Linked Image]

L
Active BB Member
OP Offline
Active BB Member
L
Thanks, I will check those out.
LT

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 348 guests, and 23 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Drachenblut, SSG Pohlman, castironphil, uncle dave, trustedmedications20
6,787 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available