Become a Member
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
I have this small converter I had purchased before converting my '46 to 12 volts. This is brand new, never used, Chinesium.

If you have a 6 volt Inline, which is very common for the majority of them, this will allow you to run a cigarette lighter so you can plug your phone in to either charge and get power while your using the maps.

They are not very expensive, I think I paid about $20-$25 for it, and if someone can use it you pay the shipping, which we're gonna call $10. This weighs 24oz and the largest an envelope can be mailed 1st class postage is 13 oz, so unfortunately the next cheapest is small flat rate priority, which is $8.25, so that's why I'm rounding it up to $10, I need to pack it and take it to the USPS.

If you're interested ping me and we can exchange info to get it to you and you can pay me as a PayPal gift for $10, easy-peazy.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

TT
Keroppi - 1946 Chevy 1/2 Ton Pickup
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
Good info to know....

Class III CNC Machinist/Programmer
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted by CNC-Dude #5585
Good info to know....
Personally I thought it was worth it to have a 12v plug for a phone, just that alone would be worth it. You could probably run a low powered radio on it also, but I'm not entirely sure about that as I have never used it.

Now that I've converted to 12v in my '46 I'm planning to install a stereo that I will build a mount for. I would like to have it swing out of the glove box if possible, so I could open the glove box and swing it out so I could view it from the driver's seat. I am hooked on CarPlay with my iPhone, so want that type of stereo in the '46 as well.

Seems like a pretty useful device to me, so I was thinking someone could use it.

I also have a 6v battery that is in good condition as well as a 6v generator that I believe has been rebuilt. Probably have the coil somewhere also. I tried to offer these to people in the past but nobody from my local Chapter was even remotely interested. If I had a 6v truck, I'd take 'em as spares. blush

TT
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
There is nothing wrong with 6V other than now modern 6V equipment. The big change was to save money on wire size and the need for more amps to run more gadgets. 6V alternators would have fixed some of that.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
I have this exact same unit on my '49. Works great through the cigarette lighter socket. But oddly it will not drive a 12v oil temp gauge. It will test the gauge when the sending wire is fully grounded - maximum sweep - but not display any values whatsoever through sender resistance. I guess a EE could tell us why. Never found any explanation on the web.

1000 Post Club
1000 Post Club
The trouble with electricity is you can't see it. OOPS!

Last edited by Beater of the Pack; 03/24/22 11:09 PM.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted by Beater of the Pack
The trouble with electricity is you can't see it. OOPS!
Yeah, but you can FEEL it! wink (actually, that's a problem also)

TT
Major Contributor
OP Offline
Major Contributor
Originally Posted by stock49
I have this exact same unit on my '49. Works great through the cigarette lighter socket. But oddly it will not drive a 12v oil temp gauge. It will test the gauge when the sending wire is fully grounded - maximum sweep - but not display any values whatsoever through sender resistance. I guess a EE could tell us why. Never found any explanation on the web.
That's interesting. I can't imagine that an oil temp gauge would use very much power.

I'm not an EE, but it's 2 wires in (POS/GND) and 2 wires out (POS/GND), 6v in->12v out.

How many connectors on on the gauge?

TT

Moderated by  stock49, will6er 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 153 guests, and 43 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
uncle dave, trustedmedications20, Jsmay101, Paul Mahony, KeithB
6,784 Registered Users
Sponsored Advertisement
Sponsored Advertisement
This Space is Available