Walt, I would agree,V8's are OK,our family vehicle,the one we load the kids in to take a vacation is a 2002 Suburban with the 5.3 Liter,so I have nothing against them,but....I think one of the main attractions to the inline sixes for a lot of us is (at least partly) in preserving a long forgotten breed of detroit iron.
Tx Firefighter,you raise a good point also,that our inlines may be more expensive to build,vs. dropping in a crate V8...but like you said ,you like them (inlines) so that's why we keep 'em. I was toying with the idea a few years ago,of tossing the 292 in my truck for a new 350 crate motor (I know....shame on ME \:\( )but finally came to my senses and remembered why I bought this truck in the first place...reliability, ease of maintaining,good low end power,and uniqueness.
BTW: Didn't mean to put anyone down that runs a 250 in their truck (in my earlier post),it's just that for my driving habits the big six is a better choice for a long bed,if I had a short bed,I wouldn't mind the 250...it's still a good motor.

Frank
-------------
'69 Chevy C-20
292 4 spd. OD Offy intake Edelbrock 500cfm long tube headers 4:56 rears