Originally Posted by tlowe #1716
Here are the requested pictures of a 1.72 valve in a "194" head. Both closed and open to .500. The caliper shows the distance from chamber wall to valve.
Also a picture from Armond Orr and his write up-To find out what kind of valve to cylinder clearance we had, I did a little experiment. I cut a 3 7/8th inch circle from construction board and centered it over a cylinder on the block. Using a ball peen hammer, the head bolts holes were cut out. This was laid over the head and the area where the cylinder head overlapped the block was marked with whiteout. 1.94 intake and 1.625 exhaust valves were put in @ 1/2 inch lift. As you can see, a 1/16th drill bit would not fit between the valve and the cylinder. a 5/64th bit would just fit on the exhaust side.
This is shrouding!

Wow, thanks Tom, really appreciate taking the time to do all that work/setup; sincerely appreciate it. I wonder what a 1.89 LS valve would look like in there. When I was talking to my buddy a few years back about doing some headwork he suggested using LS valves (at least I think he did/memory being what it is and all).

250 inline 6 project!