If he finds one of those teenage distractions that wants to work on his car she may be a keeper.

I think it was with the introduction of the 216 that Chevy introduced their standard transmission bolt pattern. That carried through the rest if the standard transmission run in full size cars & trucks even some of the S10s. If he wants to keep the stock trans & shift linkage I think a 250 set up for a standard trans will bolt up. I may take some clutch fiddling. I believe Chevy went to open driveline in '49. From about that time there was a similar 3 speed with a Borg-Warner overdrive. Another level if learning but they can enhance drivability. Some have even used the column shift to operate a Saginaw 4 speed with a separate lever for reverse. There is a ton of information on this site in old posts. Sadly a lot of the pictures are gone but a lot of discussion. The search engine takes some time to master but almost everything that has ever been posted here can be found. The limit is how much is he willing to learn and how much he is willing to do. All the skills can be learned. There are some books that cover pretty much all of what he will be doing.

"I wonder if God created man because he was disappointed in the monkey?" Mark Twain