Originally Posted by stock49
You are zeroing in on comparing the fitment. But the concern is not with how the front face of the cap aligns with the front face of the block (which is why there is a gasket). It is about how the cap positions the lower bearing shell with respect to the upper bearing shell in the block. You will need to pull the crank gear to inspect it.

It is hard to tell from this photo, but when I took the "old" bearing shell and inserted it fully into the slot on the "new" cap and then bolted it down (just finger tight on the bolts) I was able to see how the bearing shell lined up with the lower bearing shell from behind the crank timing gear. Without the timing plate installed there is a small space to view the bearing edges. The bearing shell just barely touched on each side (top and bottom shell) and the front and rear edge of the top shell lined up with the edges of the bottom shell. I did examine that fit in addition to the edge of the bearing cap with the block. So far I'm unable to see or find any deal killers.

[Linked Image from user.fm]

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."