My 80+ year old engine builder buddy showed up today and was impressed with the condition of the block and head. He's going to allow me to work with him on it, learning what I can. He wants to use a dial gauge on the head to ensure that it both straight and flat. He also suggested sonic testing the cylinders given that the cylinders were previously over bored.

Other that we discussed us doing a few others things "while we are at it" such as line boring the block, dipping the block and head, replacing all the freeze plugs, boring a hole in the head that gets tapped, and rattle can painting of the block and head. Seems these engine had a historical problem with over heating due to air in the back of the block/head. By tapping this hole, the engine can be "burped" to get all the air out.

By early next week he's going to give me an estimate of cost and timing, given his other semi-retired projects.....He agreed with me that a small block would be fun and faster to get done (Summit could have one here on Monday), but he also said that my setup with the supercharger and magneto would be too cool to pass up.

His only comment to me was that if the block should fail any of his tests, he'd rather not have me spend a silly amount of money to make it work, when a small block is an option.

"I don't have a carbon footprint, I drive everywhere."