Dear Fabian;

If you had ever seen how destructive an oil fire is, you would never consider the filter on that engine. They are massive and istantainous when they occur. Unless you have a 'fire bottle' under the hood there's no protection, NONE. You can't get to it fast enough from inside the vehicle.

We have discussed this here many times.

When I worked in 'truck stops' in the 60s I saw a couple on 261s, which had one in the later years, from the factory.

It can be done (with "elbos & braided lines) as Brian points out, but ONLY on some models. This requires the 'spin on' adapter mounting to the block, just to the rear of the generator.

You can't mount it on the frame, wheelhouse or firewall as the lines flex constantly.

This can be done on 1937-48 models and those where the front engine mount is forward of the generator (1955-57 cars maybe). Patrick's only does trucks of the 40s & 50s which mount in front of the block behind the crank pulley.

I can't recall how it mounts in a 60 Bell Air.

YOU have to weigh the risks here. Not worth it at all, with todays commercial SAE 30 oil. No matter how you do it, both oil lines run to close to a 1,000 degree heat source.

FYI:

The 'beehive' (by-pass) filters were low pressure units for the early engines (only) and rarely caught fire because they only filtered about 20% of the oil @ 15#.

The 'full flow' oil filter didn't really come out (Chevy 6) till 1963 and It's on the right side away from the exhaust system.

Good luck. \:\)

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon