I've been building 302's for over 30 years. A stock one puts out 160 HP. As others stated they are expensive to build. (Try a Ford Flathead)
A good cylinder head is a must. Seats in the head can be changed. Chev V8 valves work great. Any of the cam grinders can come up with the right springs and retainers. Don't kill the cam/lifters with a lot of spring pressure.
You can make it think is a Chevrolet V8 with an adapter from Buffalo Enterprises. Then the starter is no longer a problem with the block. A good cam grinder can put a RV style grind on a stock cast iron cam. You will need a steel core for a bigger one.
The stock rods can take 5000 RPM forever with a little massaging. High compression pistons are bulky and heavy with the stock 7" rods. I think Ross has them on the shelf. An old set of high compression cast pistons would be great for the street and the are much lighter.
You can take up to .100" off the head if you like but I would not do it for the street.
Old intake manifolds come on E-bay every so often and Clifford Research lists a 4-barrel. Any 194-292 manifold can be worked to fit. My LSR roadster has one I did 10 years ago.
Nicson cast iron repop exhaust manifolds are listed in the 12 Port News..

Good Luck-Have Fun and they definately turn heads at a cruise..JD

216.158 MPH 12-Port 302 GMC on 70% 171.0 MPH 302 stock head on gasoline 7 years later