Thanks for your responses guys!
Walt,

The distributor I bought, I think from Langdons. It is made for an external coil, however I did have the coil on a previous motor and place it in a different spot on this motor and probably had the distributor cap off at sometime and could possibly have put it back on differently. Can you help me understand how to index the distributor?

Twisted,
My vacuum advance is pointing toward the rear. I have set a few distributors in (only a few) and probably have just been lucky on those, as I'm not sure I understand exactly what the process is. I'm a shadetree mechanic and have problems on occasion because I take everything literally and have difficulty understanding things when I know the procedure but don't understand the 'whys' of it. I understand the placing of the cylinder at tdc and know the distributor should fire at that point on the #1 cylinder. I don't quite get the part when the distributor is set in the hole with the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder, but the top part of the distributor can be moved. I think maybe I don't understand the relationship between the bottom an the top of the distributor,

Thanks again guys!