Drew,
I'm not an acoustical engineer, so I can't give you a scientific answer, but there are several guys on other websites, mostly the HAMB, that swear by this. Personnally, I'm not sure how, I only posted that to see what reaction it might bring. I suspect that it may be an issue of perception rather than reality. There are some interesting sites out there with exhaust info, but I couldn't find anything that would directly answer your question.

John,
Yes, alot of people do dual exhaust on sixes just to make that "special" sound.
A single exhaust will not make any kind of "interesting" sound no matter what you do with it.
As for your advise... Lets see... 40 years ago I tinkered with the exhaust on my tow truck, I didn't like it, so therefore nobody should do anything different than what I say. Wow, thanks for that advise. It was soooo helpful.
Apparently you didn't read what I said about my friends '52, or how it compares to my '53.
I'm trying to play with the sound, not the performance. Obviously by your replys you aren't getting the intend of anything I said. You only hear what you want to. Stop wasting my time.

I.I. #3174