Just to clarify, There is no support for the opinion that a balance pipe will hurt performance in any way. It's not a "Y" pipe or a log style exhaust manifold. With an "H" pipe, The only way exhaust could travel across from one side to the other is if the one side had a higher pressure in it than the other side. Even then its only half the difference in pressure between them. Thats why its called a "balance" or "equalizer" pipe. Because of the way the six fires, as Eagle points out (and I never dissagreed with), the difference between them is much smaller, hence the thought of some people that it won't help performance by installing one. BUT, This does not mean that you can assume that the exhaust is automatically "tuned" or "balanced", as there are several things that can cause one side to run a little different than the other such as, (at least with Fentons) the two manifolds are not exactly alike, the connection between the Fentons and the pipes are different and the length of the head pipes may not be the same. Because of all this, as I stated before, you MAY get a little more out of it by running a crossover pipe. It certainly won't hurt anything to try it. Going by the graph that was posted by Road Runner, assuming those old McGurk stats are realistic, dual exhaust is only good for 4-6 hp. Because of the low improvement, anything you do get will be very small, which is why I wasn't worried about the performance angle. Franks tests show that a small improvement is possible, although wether its the different mufflers or the "X" pipe or a little of both, we can't say for sure. For me, I'm just tired of my dual glasspacks sounding like a Honda with a fart can (only alot louder). My friends '52 has been running a crossover for as long as I've known him, about 8 years maybe, and he hasn't had any issues with it. As bill says, its all in how you mount it.

Speaking as the Moderator, I do not engage in contests. ITS MY JOB to point out and correct errors on this site, period. If that makes me the bad guy, then so be it.
A truely wise person knows they are not too old to learn, or that they know everything. When you stop listening and questioning, then you stop learning as well.

I.I. #3174