Thank you Mr. Hoyt for those fine photographs. \:\)

As one can see there is a 'seepage' on both filter lines that run 30-60 PSI of hot oil, when in use.

Around late 59 or 1960 GM issued a WARNING to ALL 'fleet operators' of this danger as some had developed a "pinhole" leak (from vibration) which then caused a major fire/explosion(s).

At the time I had a customer with 70 Chevrolet (C-30) trucks which had these units from the factory. Some had this seepage/leaks & some didn't and I kept a "watchfull eye" etc.

Around mid 1962; another customer had an explosion/fire on a C-30 due to this problem and the driver narrowly escaped DEATH (on the 'freeway') due to the massave damage caused by the intense heat involved in an oil fire.

Needless to say; I removed ALL of these filter units because it was less work/money (safer) than constant vigilance & repair. My customer NEVER had a fire and all the trucks ran over 150,000 miles.

One of these photos shows a "mini hose clamp" on one of these units.

The cause of this EXTREAME DANGER is because of the heat generated by the header pipe (1,000 +/- degrees) next (1-2") to the potential leak (double with headers/duals) and the 180 degree oil inside the lines under high pressure.* :rolleyes:

By the time you know there's a problem (261 full flow) the engine compartment is almost "fully involved" with the cab seconds away. At 'freeway'speeds there's NO time to do ANYTHING about it.

Even with 'aircraft style' or solid lines, the danger is still there, only reduced. \:\(

So; As Walt would say, "make your own decision".

Happy trails to all \:\)

* The early 216/235 engines ('by-pass' type) rarely had a problem as; they generally ran 15# pressure and only processed about 20% of the engine's oil.

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon