Ok, ok. I know what I've got - a bypass oiling 261. Now to figure out what to do with it...

If I can get it to run it'll be replacing the stuck non-running original 235 in my 53 chev sedan.

-The 261-
turns over.
has good compression - nothing under 120.
has valves that open and close.
is missing its alternator/generator.
is missing its coil.

Plan:
NOTE: I don't want to tear this thing down.

Drain oil.
Flush engine out with solvent to remove sludge.
Remove oil pan, further de-sludging.

Replace pan, gasket and oil.
In addition to pouring oil through from the top I'll squirt some in each cylinder to re-lube the bores.

Remove distributor to test oil pressure with drill and screwdriver end. Confirm oil getting to rockers.

[This step makes me nervous -- not sure how to avoid getting the timing wrong when I put distributor back in. Something about finding TDC on the front cylinder (#1?) and making sure the rotor is pointing in the vicinity of the contact on the cap for #1... right?]

About this time I'm thinking I'm getting ready to check for spark.

I figure for testing purposes I don't need a gen.

Put a 12v coil on (do I need a resistor?). [I'm not entirely sure how to hook all this stuff together since some of it wasn't there. Should be able to follow wiring on my 235 right? Anybody got a diagram? Even "red wire goes here, ground this to the frame" would help...]

Replace cap, rotor, points and condensor for good measure.

Hook up a battery, cross out the starter and check for spark.

If I've got spark and compression I'm probably about ready to add fuel and see if it'll fire.

Bolt a long 2x4 across the 2 bellhousing mounts to stop engine from torquing itself upside down.

Dump some gas in the carb.

Crank and pray.

And if I haven't already proven myself near to completely inexperienced I'll ask a really dumb question:

How do you guys lift these engines with a crane? Even on the rearmost of my 3 side motormount bolts the engine won't balance for crap. Am I wrong to be using the motormounts to lift from?

I'm definitely looking for tips and direction here.

Phew!
Thanks,
Tom
--------------

Man, can you imagine all the dumb questions I'm gonna ask when it comes time to pull the 235!?

1953 2dr 150 with '59 261
1964 Bel Air with stock ~69 230
1961 Biscayne with stuck 235
tore up '53 235