Quote:
Originally posted by John H. Meredith:
Dear Rob;

When doing your research, did you look into what oils the aircraft industry is using??

What about adding STP and changing more often
I did not inquire nor gather any information on aircraft engine oils.

I did get some interesting data from a local engine rebuilder who cited a report he had on NYC taxi cab engines; they tracked the lifespan of taxis which started with and stayed with one brand and type of oil and compared that against the "what's the cheapest oil you have" engines. The engines which jumped around amongst brands showed more than twice the wear that the engines which stuck with one oil showed. This makes sense as we are talking about lubricant chemistry here and each manufacturer has a different chemical formula. While they might be trying to accomplish the same thing, they each take a little different approach to getting there and it would lead you to conclude that mixing brands adversely affects engine wear.

The EOS component along with diesel engine oil is what I decided to run in all my flat tappet motors starting last year. Nothing's died yet and I have one newly rebuilt 302 with 5k on it now and so far so good.

Here\'s a freebie for anyone who does not get the magazine and is interested.

Rob English
II Member #2141