W;

The early 'by pass' filters ran 15# pressure to the filter and gravaty feed drained that 20% of the engines oil back into the pan. These were never a problem like you say and didn't require large oil lines.

The 261 system runs 60# and around 50% of the engines oil through those with this filter. The hoses were much stronger like the ones used on P/S units. They were designed for 'flexibility and normal engine temps".

Still; with that much pressure next to the 1700+/- degree exhaust, they didn't work safely and why the GM warnings were sent out, causing many to be removed in the 60s.

With today's oil, there even less of a benefit.

T;

That filter requires a 5/16 ID line to keep an equal volume of oil/pressure to everything and no matter how/what you built it with, you can't escape the heat generated and location (stock) or that added with headers.

NO TYPE of oil line** is designed for this type of constant exposer/abuse etc.

Under these conditions (hi-pressure + hi-temp) a "pinhole" leak can/will cause a fire/explosion creating major damage almost instantly!! So FAST that the driver will barely be able to escape, should this event occur at 'highway' speeds.

I saw the results of this several times in the mid 60s and the amount of destruction involved is beyond description. The ONLY example I can think of is the car bombs we see on the news frequently.

It was a very BAD DESIGN that was discontinued 40 years ago and should stay that way.

Happy trails to all. \:\)

**Remember; 'braided lines' are rubber inside.

John M., I.I. #3370

"There are no shortcuts to any place worth going". -Anon