Well, after much tweaking and head scratching I discovered why my 292 began running so badly (and quit running altogether). It wasn't anything directly to do with the carburetion. I began to think that the vacuum was weak because the cam was too radical (even though it is the cam that is recommended for my setup) so I decided to pull the cam and reinstall the stock one until I could procure some more information. That's where I found the trouble! The machine shop that pressed on the timing gear DIDN'T INSTALL THE KEYWAY! The gear had slipped on the cam and the valves were opening late. It's so rare that this should happen on an inline six that I didn't even consider it. (I've had the timing chain jump a tooth back when I was running a BBC) I'm relieved to find the trouble and after the initial frustration, I'm glad to say it's now running incredibly well again! I'm now joining the Inliners Int. as a member this month. Thanks for all your emails and priceless advice.

"All too often the difference between success and failure is doing something right and doing something nearly right."