Hi guys, new member here. I spent quite a bit of time looking through the tech posts and archives but haven't found the answer to my question.

I'm building an Art Deco style roadster from scratch

I'm a metalshaper and will be making the complete body from aluminum. Scratch built chassis etc.

In keeping with the period, I wanted an inline engine. I've recently purchased a highly modified Chevy 250 (now 277).

I have two questions for you inline masters.

First: The motor was built by an engine builder in near DC who built a lot of 250s for the Nascar Dirt Track series. His engines dynoed at 325 with a 2bbl. This engine started as a 68 truck and had the bottom end done/balanced, etc. 307 flat top pistons. The head had more work than normal, V* valves, heavy springs, ported/polished etc. Clifford truck headers and aluminum 4bbl intake with Holly 500cfm. New electronic distributor.

Now for the bad news. 11:1 cfm and 600 lift cam. This car is supposed to look like a late 30's Bugatti, Delage, etc. It NEEDED an inline engine. The car will weight about 2000lbs finished. Weight distribution is 50/50. Corvette C4 suspension front and rear with a 3.07 posi rear. I'm concerned that the engine not be streetable and am looking for things that I can do to de-tune it.

It's been suggested that with a 600 lift cam that due to valve overlap, I won't really see full compression until RPMs get over 3000, probably not going to happen that often but I don't want to have to rev her to 2500 and feather the clutch to get going....

Someone else told me the TRW flat top pistons could be fly cut a good bit and rebalanced to lower the compression. Changing the cam is, of course, a snap...suggestions?

The motor is new. The man who had it built is now a retired GM mechanic. His son had a Nova with a 192 and he was a friend of the machine shop owner who offered to build him the six. They installed the engine and it sounded great, lumpy and you could hear every cylinder fire at idle. The kid said, "But it's not a V8..." The motor was prepared for storage and parked until recently when someone bought the car less motor. A friend picked up the motor and will bring it to me next month.

Ok, so for the motor, I'd appreciate your comments and thoughts. I built a stock 235 10 years ago but thats the limit of my 6 experience.

Next: I picked up a T56 6speed manual from a 96 Camero. The trans has a 1 1/8" 26 spline nose shaft.

I also got with the tranny a flywheel from a 5 speed. I understand the flywheel will bolt to the 250 crank. My question is this. The 6 speed has a 'pull' clutch that is relatively expensive and may/may not work with the 5 speed flywheel. I'm thinking it may be simpler to change the bellhousing and just go with a standard clutch

Does anyone know what I would need to do this?

Thanks

Kerry Pinkerton
http://wheelingmachines.com