John, Gearhead, et al.,

I have three chevy six bellhousings (of unknown origin; one must be from a truck as it has a foot starter and another has a R/H side throwout arm) with the "wide" transmission flange that mates with the Muncie four-speed or the Corvette three-speed. Each bellhousing has the 4.68" bore, but the Muncie does have the 4.18" OD bearing retainer. Paul of 5Speed.com tells me that the 1963 Muncie did come with the small bearing retainer, and that a larger diameter version is available, but he did not have one. He referred me to a Brian at SK Speed. Tomorrow I will call both Brian and Buffalo for more info.

Back in the early sixties, I had the Corvette three-speed behind my 261 in a '53 Chevy with an open driveshaft Spicer rear end. In 1965 I bought the Muncie transmission to put in my '62 Impala 327 when I thought that its four speed went out; however, the problem was just a broken shift linkage, so I have been just dragging the Muncie ( and the 261, the Corvette three-soeed, and lots of other stuff) around for the past 40+ years. I am now trying to do something with it all. I never noticed that the Muncie bearing retainer OD was smaller than the bore in the bellhousings until recently when I installed the 261 in a '32 Ford highboy. I want to use one of these transmissions as I am trying to pretend that it is still 1964 (except for brakes and real safety equipment).

Hoyt, II # 922

Hoyt, Inliner #922