chevy 250-6, while I don't understand what you're trying to do with the logging chain or 'loading it down' -it doesn't matter. Don't do it! I recommend that you buy new lowering springs, however I understand what it means to be a poor high school student and the method I describe below has given me and many others very successful results.

Here's how you want to lower it on the cheap:
Get yourself a grinder and a cut-off wheel that fits in it.
Take your front springs off carefully using a jack and make sure you wrap a loose a chain around the spring while you pop the ball joint so that the spring doesn't fly away into your jaw.
After you get the spring out you'll be ready to cut your spring. Generally speaking on these springs, a 1" cut equals 2" in lower ride height so plan carefully. Measure twice or three times and then cut once! You can always cut 1/2" more later if it's still too high, but it's hard to add it, lol! I would recommend no more than 1-1/2" on these springs, anymore and the ride will be unbearable. Also, DO NOT cut these springs with a torch! It will change the spring tension and you could end snapping a spring while doing 70mph down the freeway and that could be bad.
Okay, at this point you've cut the springs using the cut-off wheel and now you can install. Just install in the reverse order and make sure your spring is snug in the cup and centered and then just raise the jack up (keeping a loose chain around the A-arm and through spring again!) and re-attach the ball joint. It's pretty easy to do and you could easily do it in an afternoon. In fact if you only cut it 1" and want to go back after a few weeks and cut another 1/2", it'll take less time.
Once you get the springs re-installed and everything buttoned up, take it to an alignment shop and have it aligned.
Now your ride will be a little stiffer, but definately not like a lowered mini truck or import! In fact, the ride won't be that bad at all. You'll still be able to use your original shocks, but depending on how many miles I'd replace them as well.

The rear springs can't be cut because they have pigtails on both ends, however you can add lowering blocks to these trucks very easily. Just determine the drop you want once the front is done and if you want a 2" drop then just get 3/16" tube steel, 2x2-1/2"(I think the trailing arm is 2-1/2" wide), installing them between the trailing arms and the axle. You'll need to drill holes for the U-bolts and you'll need 2" longer U-bolts, but it's a pretty simple task. Good luck with it.

1968 Camaro - 250 (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!....Jeez!)
1968 C-10 with 2 extra cylinders