Thanks HOYT!

Just pulling a few things out of your post:
 Quote:
Originally posted by Hoyt:

The rear side mounts that react the engine torque must also be installed between the frame and clutch housing. If they're not, the car will not be pleasant to drive. I learned this the hard way. The front motor mount separated, and the car was barely drivable .
This is exactly my concern.

Quote:
the engine mounts should be aligned with the "principal axis of inertia" of the engine, which generally passes through the center of gravity of the engine assembly. The 1952-54 mounts are much closer to meeting this goal than is the earlier mounting system.
Makes perfect sense to me

Quote:

If you have the time and inclination, using the 1952-54 sidemounts should provide for a "better" installation. However, the 1951 mounts will work, as long as the 1949-51 rear side mounts (or a home-made equivalent) are used to react the torque.
Right. My (53) bell doesn't have any provisions for lateral torque support. So its waaaaay easier (and better--how often does that happen!?) for me to hack up existing motor mounts than it would be to fool around with trying to locate front crossmember holes, rig up some sort of support on the bell and then finally rig up a new crossmember that clears all my under-floor brake stuff.

Nice to know my logic makes sense. Thank you!

Hey 6inarow did you see this? How's yours coming? I'm working on this stuff this week.

1953 2dr 150 with '59 261
1964 Bel Air with stock ~69 230
1961 Biscayne with stuck 235
tore up '53 235