big, I still have the original points distributor and stock coil. I have the base timing at about 8 degrees. I also have the original stock intake manifold and carb along with stock exhaust. I have two coil-in-cap HEI units but they won't work because there isn't enough room for them because of the A/C compressor which is located just above the distributor. Here is something I know but have not heard anyone mention. On my '77 Chevelle 250 factory HEI winter rat it is not a one piece cap-in-coil distributor. It is two pieces. The cap is still on the large size but the coil which is small and square shaped is mounted on
the engine and is connected by wire just like the points type system. I also have one of these set ups I saved from a '76 Camaro 250. In the coming months, as the weather improves, I am going to see if I can get this slightly smaller distributor head to fit. If it does, I can buy an aftermarket coil and I will then be faced with the same issues you are right now. But I have the feeling it won't fit and then I will order a Pertronix unit. I'm glad this whole issue came up because I will need the info from your other post to make sure I do not fry my ignition. A local guy tells me he can make a set of six-into-one headers for me and then I can have them 'aluminum' ceramic coated inside and out. We also have a '67 Chevelle Malibu Coupe 327/275 hp w factory air. I took the original Quadrajet off and went with one of the new Holley Street Avenger with ELECTRIC CHOKE four-barrel carbs. That electric choke is the greatest! She runs like a bear. Just bolt it on and go. I also bought a set of Hedman Hedders and had the local guy 'aluminum' ceramic coat them in and out. Fantastic and worth every cent. So far they have not discolored at all and they sure LOOK GREAT. Anyway, back to the 250, I want to do some experimenting - carbs, intakes, cams, exhaust and a few other ideas I want to try. Tom Langdon told me to use a carb from a Ford Pinto but did not go into detail. I'm not sure what carb this is. I have also heard that an inline six will run better and get better gas mileage with a two barrel carb. I go junkin' a lot and just maybe I'll try to pick up a fuel injection system with computer from a late model V-6 Camaro. Could be interesting. At any rate I want an electric choke on my carb.
I do a lot of bracket racing. My next project is a 250 or 235 into a '62 Corvette. That will be a whole different story.
Ken