big, You said your transplanted plug wires are a bit long. One of the best investments I ever made was $30 for a top-of-the-line spark plug wire tool. Cut the wires to length then crimp. You can put a little oil on the wire to get the metal pieces to slip on easier if necessary. It crimps the ends just like a factory crimp and with a little practice you'll be a pro. The best part is the price of the parts - I think the metal ends are fifteen cents each at NAPA! We junked a Chevelle with a 305 but we had recently installed a set of MSW 7mm Magnetic Surpression Wires. It was a set from Pep Boys that were made for the 305 and 350 but most of them were longer than necessary. I saved them especially since my son had paid about $27 for them and they were less than a year old when we junked the 305. We went through his 327 this winter and he wanted new plug wires. I took the wires I had saved, cut them to exact length, crimped them at both ends and put them on the 327 while he was not home. I even had enough left over for the coil wire. It took a couple of hours and the parts cost about three dollars. He was surprised when he saw them and asked, "Where did you get those wires?, they're perfect and I love 'em." I told him I had "made them" from his 305 wires and invested less than three dollars. The best part - when someone looks at his motor he tells them "Check out my plug wires, my Dad made them for me."
One thing about car guys, they are easy to buy for on their Birthdays and Christmas. I've gotten quite a few of my tools on these days and it makes it easier on some people who don't know what to get you!
Ken