Most of you will have read the large and interesting piece on building hydrogen booster systems for our old carbed cars. Some people had some success with it, but there were too many unanswered questions for most. This isn't directly about the hydrobooster. But it is related.

The article in question is in Motor Trend Feb 2005, under Technologue by Frank Markus. They aren't focusing on fuel economy, they're focusing on emissions but read some of the info on burning hydrogen.

"If we could add 70 to 80 percent more air than the ideal mix, no NOx would be produced. But at that concentration the fuel droplets are too far apart and they don't all get burned and the engine misfires. Hydrogen to the rescue. This fuel of the future burns so quickly and easily, even in low concentrations, that converting 20 to 30 percent of the gasoline into hydrogen allows the engine to burn all its fuel under ultralean conditions."

Now these guys are making the hydrogen out of the fuel, rather than water like us. But the idea is interesting that with hydrogen added to the mix you could run leaner -- save fuel. Earlier in the article they add this:

"What hydrogen does for an engine is allow it to operate cleanly and efficiently with lots of excess air..........."

Which is something of what we want.

I'm not the expert at all on these things, I haven't tried the Hydrogen boost idea on an engine yet either so I can't attest to it's value. I do find the idea really interesting though and it intrigues me to see there might be some truth to it. I've tried making my own hydrogen according the plans provided by others and didn't get near enough hydrogen (in my mind) to have it make a difference. I just thought I'd post this in case anyone else was interested in taking a look or reflecting. Have a good one.

Greg

P.S. Don't mean to plagurise or anything, tried to reference the author.