Hi again guys,

I don't want to sound like a preacher, but I want to explain a little about my own personal stance on PCV systems.

If you read up in most any modern repair manual, they describe a procedure called a "cylinder leakdown test". Most of them call for an acceptable range of 4% minimum to 8% maximum leakage. What the test measures (assuming the valves are OK) is how much air/fuel mixture bypasses the rings on each and every compression stroke, along with some other gasses and partially burned fuel from the power stroke. That means that every compression cycle looses that much air and fuel to the crankcase. It also means that enough air/fuel mixture leaks past to equal 4 to 8 combustion chamber volumes out of every 100 compression cycles.

A PCV system returns that unburned fuel to the intake, whereas a road draft tube spits it out into the air. That is no different than a complete cylinder misfire every 4 to 8 times out of a hundred. Personally, I think that's a lot of unnecessary pollution. Out here in the desert, it reacts miserably with the heat to form smog and ozone.

Take your pick, and I'll get off the soapbox. And thanks for letting me spout off.

------------------
David
newbie #4153

David
newbie #4153