Yes Hank, this engine is the only one left from my small collection (2x Chevrolet 4.1 MPFI and 1x Chevrolet 292) in Brazil. I seriously tried, but it was way too bureaucratic to bring them to U.S. along with my household goods last year. My 4.1 MPFI’s were acquired in 2000, for about one grand or so (US$). They were very low mileage, pulled from Chevrolet Silverado pickup trucks that were converted to Diesel power (the 4.1L is kinda a gas guzzler in Brazil, since gas over there has always been more expensive that in U.S. – about US$ 3,80/gal!). Since they were produced for a short time, they are getting scarce rapidly.

The higher production version of the GM 4.1 MPFI engine equipped the Chevrolet Omega passenger car in Brazil. This engine is nearly identical to the truck engine (except for PCM calibration and cam specs, among other smaller details), but it had an inconvenient narrower bell housing mounting pattern, making it incompatible with the rest of SBC/BBC pattern.

Anyway, most vital parts of the Chevrolet 4.1 MPFI are 100% interchangeable with the “standard” L6 family (194/230/250/292).

I used the other 4.1 MPFI on my old Chevrolet Opala, mated to a 5-speed. I drove it at the first time on Aug 29, 2000, making it a pioneer in Brazil. I’d drive it sometimes only twice a year, and after inflating leaky tires and charging the battery, the car would be pure joy and rock reliable. The sleeper had a lot of potential (turbo was on the plans), but even in stock form it was an ass kicker and rubber burner.

PS.: Forgive the messy wiring harness, it wasn’t final yet.

Keep it INLINE!
Early 173" FED (still motorless)
Ricardo
I.I.# 4784