MY two cents on 4V Holleys(my preferred carb)is that they need more modification to be right than people want to do,or pay for. Something to consider when running a Holley on a big intake, is the booster signal, a short anular booster will pull twice the vacuum of the straight leg with the SAME air flow, the signal that pulls fuel through the booster depends on the air VELOCITY in the venturi. The Offy will work better than the Clifford with a 'out of the box' carb because of air velocity. But the stock Holley straight leg booster is the absolute worst with a the big Clifford on the street. The sheer size of the Clifford gives it low air velocity on the low end. The wrong way to fix this is to tune every circuit so super rich that that when the main(booster) circuit finally does comes in, it's flows more like a spigot than a finely atomized mist, so then we have to heat the intake to get it to run decent.

Have you ever wondered how a 1000 cfm carb sitting on a tiny 350 Vthing with a huge cam could be easily street driven? and how it had the throttle response? It is because they have 4 idle circuts 3 transition circuits and very sensitve boosters, in other words they dont have good air velocity they have a very specific responsive finely tuned carb instead. Another Holley tuning issue is using jets to tune WOT, it is much more simple to get your jets right for cruise, and do your WOT tuning in the power valve resrtiction channel. In my opinion you can run your Holley just as fine on the Clifford as the Offy, if you want spend the time and money, but by the time you spend the money, and start to really understand how Holleys work, you will (like me) probably wish you had a few Webber side-drafts.