Quote:
Originally posted by dbane261:
did fuel injection come on later model 292's, and if so why doesnt everyone use it? what kind of hp improvements can be expected from tbi or mpi over lets say a 500 or 600cfm edelbrock? I saw a tbi on ebay for a 250, he said it only got 14 miles to the gallon! wheres the advantage? fuel injection is supposed to get better mileage and deliver more hp and torque, I see that mileage is not better, what about power? plus they are way more work! I love fuel injection, but i dont see the advantage.
Update.

A local rodder who has a '55 chevy 4door with a 350 in it changed from an Edlebrock 600 cfm 4 bbl carb to TBI from a '90 350 truck using Megasquirt as the controller and a wide band O2 sensor - he picked up 7 MPG! (from 16 to 23 - that like over 40%!) on the highway over the carb. He is using a 700R4 and in OD the TBI does a much better job of metering fuel than the carb can. The carb does not get enough signal at high load low RPM to meter fuel as well as EFI can.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them