To All,
It has been some time since I have been able to post or even visit this forum. New business concerns , etc.
I just sent this email to Sissel's Automotive, and thought I'd also post it here to get your
collective input also, Thanks
I have been a member of the Inliner's International for a number of years now, and I want to build a 292 Chevy six for my 1957 Chevy 210 2 Door Sedan.
Currently, the car is equipped with a stock 235 (that recently destroyed a piston when the head of the screws holding the carb butterfly broke!), a Saginaw four speed transmission (3.11 first gear), and a 3.73 positraction rear end. The rear end has Chrysler side gears and 33 spline Moser Alloy axles, along with reinforced spring mounts and driver's side carrier bearing cap.
The car I wish to end up with will duplicate a "Modified Production" NHRA class car from the early '70's, but, with a streetable rear end ratio. I do expect to drag race the car about 5-10 week ends per summer at my local 1/4 mile strip, but also use the car for longer trips. With the highway use in mind, I expect to replace the Saginaw transmission with a Tremec 5 speed overdrive transmission, and the stock drum brakes with an aftermarket power front disc rear stock drum combo. I wish to turn the engine no more than 6,000 rpm's max, and have already purchased the electronic MSD ignition system with the rev limiter for that purpose.
I envision a 9.0:1 compression ratio, and want to use three Holly-Weber staged two barrel carbs on an Offenhauser manifold. I already have three beautifully machined adapters "sparked out" on an Electronic Spark Discharge machine, otherwise, I would consider the three Weber Sidedraft Carb setup. For the exhaust system, I want to use the reproduction cast iron manifolds as produced by Tom Langdon's "Stovebolt Engine Company", and full dual exhaust with low restriction mufflers.
With all this in mind, I would like to get your recommendations as to cylinder head work. I do possess a clean head that I could ship to you as a core, but, I understand that you use only new castings for you "Lump Port" conversions. Also, I am Intrigued by the possibility of an intercooled blow through Vortech Supercharger in the future, so, are your Lump Port heads suitable for extended street use? (I realize that the blower is not compatible with the Modified Production theme, but.... :-)
An additional question concerns the elimination of the intake port head bolt bosses. Are the replacement bolts suitable for long road trips, or will they loosen periodically and require retorquing on a regular basis? Also, Jack Clifford used to recommend a "heat treated" stock rod for street or endurance use. Since his untimely death, I can find no other information on this process. Do you Know any particulars about this process?
One final question (I promise). For this application, I have my choice of two crankshafts. I have a late model cast crank with 12 counterweights, and a 1963 forged steel crank (six counterweights) that needs turned less than .030 to clean up a rod throw. Which would be your recommendation?
I realize that I've asked a lot of questions, but, you are the recognized experts in this field. Please let me know how I may obtain one of your catalogs. I have tried to download it several times without success. Thank you, Bob Brewer II # 1816

Chiefoldephart