Quote:
Originally posted by kreb:
Sorry for mentioning it, but I find it somewhat ironic that the resident EFI hotshot is also working on a carb manifold. That said, I'd be more inclined to go with a single 4-barrel or three DCOEs.

Edit: that sounded snide, didn't it? After following the links it's clear that DIY is once more leading the way in developing this underappreciated engine.
Hmmmm well - thanks but Glen Self has been working this for a while - just limited demand and only fabricated parts. This isn't for myself as I have other plans. I had 2 thoughts in mind when I went to the dual 2 barrel carb. approach:

1) try and keep the runners as equal as possible - yes #3 & #4 are shorter - hard to keep the intake compact so it will fit the confines of an AD truck and keep the runners exactly the same length.

2) Keep the core pattern as simple as possible. With one simple pattern both the front and rear sections core sections can be made. The flange would be a seperate pattern. The balance tube if it stays the same could be a fabricated 1 1/2 tube (I hear the hardware store calling....). The cores would be assembled in the cast box to form the complete core ready to pour.

Sure a triple dual side draft manifold is easy but is it practical? Maybe some folks could chime in here. And I'm not sure it'll fit in an AD truck without firewall mod's ( remember where this thread started)... If someone can provide an accurate sketch of the DCOE base plate this is an evenings work to come up with the design.

If folks wanted to run a single 4bbl carb, by keeping the carb flanges removable then a upside down U connection could be bolted onto the existing plenum's.

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them