That's why I was checking out the GM DIS system from a 3800cc V6, cuz I figure if the sparks are once every 120 degrees of crankshaft rotation then why wouldn't it work on an inline six. The DIS system (direct ignition system) uses a crank sensor to trigger the spark, a DIS module (controls the ignition) and a coil pack which fires two plugs simultaneously (called a wasted spark system).

A wasted spark system fires the plugs on a cylinder in compression and the one in exhaust. The 'wasted' spark aparently doesn't use much power so most of the power is used to ignite the fuel in the other cylinder.

One advantage of this system is that the coils get to dwell for a very long time (because there are three!) ensuring I nice long and strong spark.

Again, If the sparks on a 3800cc V6 are 120 degrees apart I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Also one would need a computer such as the megasquirt to control both the mechanical advance. I think you can program the advance you want according to the rpms and vacuum you specify..

So guestimating, about $50 for the DIS system off a junked 3800, about $150 for a megasquirt and you've got yourself a fully programmable distributorless ignition for approximately $200.
+ the option of upgrading to EFI in the future if your so inclined using the same megasquirt comp.

Sorry for the hijack, I had asked about the GM DIS System here before but I don't think many people knew what the heck I was talking about.

wow, that was long..