Can't say this topic has gone in the direction I had intended, probably my fault. The respnses are very similar to the resonses I saw on Stovebolt, though a few additional "Alternative" fuel systems have been mentioned. Let's see if I can redirect a bit. :rolleyes:

Evidently Ethanol is here to stay whether you like it or not. The local paper says there is going to be an Ethanol plant built about 20 miles away. The company that is building that plant is planning 5 more in California. I've also read reports that the IRL is switching to Ethanol. GM is pressuring NASCAR to switch to Ethanol. It might be interesting to see what happens with NASCAR. Since NASCAR already has a contract with Sunoco for fuel , but then they are also considering a new engine spec.

There was a time when Hot Rodders couldn't get enough Octane. There were arguements as to whether one oil companies 101 octane was as good as the other oil companies 103 octane. Now that there is a fuel out there that is 105 plus, no body sems thrilled. I've even seen 113 octane cliamed, but I'm thinking that must be straight ethanol. Any how I've been wanting to build an engine for alcohol, soo... I've got a 292 on the engine stand, I want to build for the street.

With E85 you are going to loose gas mileage. There just isn't as much energy in E85 as gas. You need to increase the jet size by about 27%. A cam isn't going to change the air fuel ratio. The only thing that will take advantage of E85 is the compression ratio. I'm thinking I want to go 11-12 to one on compression. It doesn't look like I can get there with out a 194 head or forged pistons. I don't wan t to buy forged pistons for the street. A good set of cast flat top pistons would be perfect. With the right pistons I could use one of the 3 heads I've got now. At what compression ratio do I need to think about using studs in place of the head bolts? Is it also true that one of the front threaded holes has a tendency to crack? That will do for now.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever