As the story goes the Corsairs would overheat climbing after a Zero. They would catch the Zero if they didn't overheat first. Evidently there was enough room in the cockpit that the Navy Aircraft mechanics could put a barrel of Alcohol and water behind the seat. How they actually turned it on I'm not sure, a valve(?). The end results was that there were fewer Zeros.

Engine oil, I've read that synthetic oil is required. I know that's what we used in the dragster running Methanol, but then that's extreme duty. I need to look into that further.

There was an interesting link posted on Stovebolt.com about a 292 rebuild that Truckworld magazine did;

http://www.truckworld.com/How-To-Tech/Chevrolet-Engine/Chevy-engine-2.html

In the article they talk about using a domed piston from Federal Mogul for running LPG. No picture showing the pistons, d*mn. I called Federal Mogul and talked to some techie, who said they don't exsist. I called Tom Langdon great guy, very knowledgeable. He said he had never run into tem. I want those piston anyone have a part number.

I got more information from Tom Langdon than I had hope for. There are two methods for Octane rating (I may have this wrong), Motor and research. There is a difference of 10 points between the two.

He aslo said that for every 2 points you raise the compression you gain 8% in power and 7% in mpg.. That presents an interesting trade off. The stock compression on the 292 is 8 to 1. With Ethanol you lose mpg. 20% or is it closer to 27% which is what you have to increase your jet size. So if you raise your compression ratio to 12 you gain 16% in power and lose 6-13% in mpg not considering anything else. Something to think about.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever