John, Well enough said, and no disagreement with Harolds comments. I think all comments can be appreciated if on Topic.

I think your statement I quote "After over 50 years in the auto industry, I do get "carried away" (over It's decay) some times. Especialy the fuel and parts issues." is perhaps one reason this topic has been politicalized. I agree gasoline is a great fuel, it has been used for many, many years with success. In addition I think another reason is change. The politicalizing and the excuses alcohol will eat this, dissolve that, have me some what bewildered. This club that seems to promote inlines to be different. This club that promotes drag races, Salt Lake racing, and Hot Rods in general. Very few have every won a drag race the first time out or broken a record on the Salt flats. So what has changed with this group of "Hot Rodders". If it's not on the shelf you can't handle it.

My Dads' first car was a 32 Buick roadster in the late 30s. He couldn't afford a F*rd. The F*rds sold for more because they were faster and got better mileage than the Buicks, Huppmobiles, Reos and Oaklands. There were a few modifications made to that Buick (speed parts, no) downdraft carb from a GMC, the main drive on tranny broke while they were at they lighten the flywheel, a magneto from ????, and best of all they replaced the mufflers (Smittys, no) with irrigation pipe hacked sawed and baffles welded in. F*rds could still beat him off the line, but it wasn't long before he caught them. Change, in the fifties I sat with my Dad in the stands at the speedway and watched them destroy those F*rds in the modified races. My Dad sponsered the 54 California stated modified Champion. One of the reasons they won, they clearenced the rod and main bearings and put in a HD oil pump. In the sixties we were shaving heads and looking for all the octane we could get. In the seventies emission control, and don't touch your car if you want to pass the smog test. With the new cars today just to maintain it you have to buy hundreds of dollars in diagnostics equipment and anything major thousands of dollars, not to mention all the plumbing and wiring. I hope I've inherited some of Dads' Hot rodding.

What ever the reason is (demand) the price of gasoline is going up and up, it isn't just the price of gasoline, alcohol also. From the comments on this board and others the demand for alcohol won't be as great as gasoline. I'll build an engine for alcohol, it's a hobby I enjoy and willing to work at. I wish I had stayed with hot rodding along time ago. Hopefully I can blow of one or two the kids at the body shop on the corner. There is one particular F*rd pickup that comes up the street with is foot in every time and sounds like a buffalo in a wallow every time. :rolleyes:

Now where did that soap box come from.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever