Thoughts
Compression ratio can be low on any fuel that is ignited by spark, but as we raise the CR the engine becomes more able to get the most power from a given amount of fuel, to a point. So higher octane sounds like a way to go but many have discovered that air plane fuels which carry a higher octane rating don't perform as well as one would think because they are designed to run there best at higher altitudes.
As for the farmers be able to produce like they did during WW 2, if you check the number of farmers and the amount of farm ground available today compared to 60 years ago you will discover a much smaller number. Then if we start to produce a cheaper form of fuel that is cleaner to burn the rest of the world will want it also. At that point the demand goes up and the price will follow. This will affect not only the fuel cost we face, it will change the cost of food. If you think about it corn is fed to Beef, hogs, & poultry. Also we make many many products from corn syrup. Now as we ask the farmer to work harder and produce more corn. He most likely will expect to make a higher profit in order to purchase the additional equipment, seed, fertilizer, herbicides, and other things required. Now if he is spending more he should expect a much higher bottom line so the cost of fuel and food goes higher. Then we have to consider the bad growing seaaon when he invested all that time and money and his crops either died due to too much or not enough rain and he had no harvest.
I still think alternate fuel sources are a great idea but we need to look at the over all picture before we leap off the bridge. The "QUOTE MASTER PLAN MAY BE ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THAN WE THINK." Maybe instead of thanking or blaming politians, we might consider looking at big bussiness they are not in any thing for fun. If this becomes a workable thing the oil companies will still distribute it and control the price so as to keep their profits up.
In closing the best and only reason for an alternative fuel source is a cleaner safer world to pass on to future generations.
Big Bill

Been there, Done that, Hope to live long enough to do it again.
Big Bill
I.I.# 4698