Big Bill, There are alot of things that can be done to make the rod fit. Here are the 292 rod measurements, length 6.76, pin .9273, crank journal 2.1, bottom end width 1.050. The piston compression hieght 2.009. We looked briefly for another rod when I took the pistons back. The F*rd 300 looks good except the crank journal is about 3 inches. If this was a competition or record machine everythingyou say would be considered. Since this is a street machine I don't want the cost to exceed the cost of a set of forged pistons and reconditioned rods. In Leos' book he mentions a Sportsman rod with 7.0 lenght, that would be perfect with a 283 piston. I'm going to email Armond, II to see if he can get the mfg. of the rod in Leos' book. I haven't been able to find an online catalog for connecting rods. I'm going to go by the machine shop and see if they will order one for me. btw United Engine and Machine Co. (Silvolite?)
http://kb-silvolite.com/spistons.php?action=details&S_id=231
have there catalog of pistons online. There are quite a few pistons in the bore range to choose from.

Larry

Ignorance can be fixed Stupidity is forever