Quote:
Originally posted by Boogiemanz1:
How much are you planning on pulling out of this engine? Do you have the Megasquirt to run the stock engine with some boost along with a homebuilt EFI? What about the cam phasing? Will the blanks you mentioned use this or be installed at a permanent degree? Any idea what kind of boost the stock setup can withstand? I realize 10: 1 is a lot of compression but if you could bleed some compression with overlap via the cam phaser would it be possible to run 6-7lbs on a stock block & Pistons?

I'm interested in this engine, not for racing but as a hot street alternative...........jb
All good questions:
"Do you have the Megasquirt to run the stock engine with some boost along with a homebuilt EFI? "

I'm running just megasquirt, its boost friendly. Right now its running the stock NA engine thats in the truck.

"What about the cam phasing? Will the blanks you mentioned use this or be installed at a permanent degree?"

Right now the cam phaser is not connected - eventually I hope to control it - just need the software in megasquirt to control it ( I wish my programming skills were better) I'm waiting for the s/w to get done.

"Any idea what kind of boost the stock setup can withstand? I realize 10: 1 is a lot of compression but if you could bleed some compression with overlap via the cam phaser would it be possible to run 6-7lbs on a stock block & Pistons?"

Not sure but with EFI folks are running a lot more base compression. A local shop is supercharging Ls series engines without a piston change upto 10 PSI - not sure if I'd be that brave. 6-7 sound doable but not having done it yet I'm not going to say yes for sure. Your correct that some base compression could be dropped by moving the exhaust cam to a tighter overlap centerline...

One thing I've found out from folks on the trailvoy.com site is the stock GM PCM is not boost friendly. They seem stuck on wanting to keep the GM PCM.

"
I'm interested in this engine, not for racing but as a hot street alternative."

Same here just wanted to push the engine a bit - I've had grumpy 600HP SBC engines before that went like stink but were not practical - no driveability. Hopefully I can cruise this on low boost with pump gas and then turn the wick up when the need arises running either 105 unleaded or methonal and pump gas .. still messing with the fuel system on paper...

51 GMC 4.2 turbo
Can't solved today's problems using the same technology/thinking that created them