I played with the numbers a little bit to try to figure how much water VS exhaust gas would be equal.....and it gets kinda interesting.
all numbers rounded.

Water: one pound.........one pint
exhaust gas: one pound...12 cubic ft.

Water @ 200 degrees expands some, exhaust gas @ 400 degrees is 1/4 the density it would have been @ 100 degrees, or, it'll take somewhere near 48 cubic ft of exhaust gas @ 400 degrees to equal a pound.

The heat energy available in a pound of water heated to 200 degrees should be equal to 1/2 pound of exhaust gas heated to 400 degrees, or 24 cubic feet.

I went out and got Tom's "plate", removed one of the fittings and timed how long it would take to fill a pint container. Average was <12 secs @ 15 lbs pressure. I have no idea what the real flow pressure is in the cooling system so I just used the 15 lbs. In one minute you'd see 5 lbs of water. Equal to about 120cfm of exhaust gas, or the amount of gas you could put in a 5'x5'x5' container.

If I'm anywhere close in those figures, then Tom' tirade was with good cause, as my system won't flow those numbers, and the average temp has dropped a great deal by the time it gets close to help heat the carb. If I'm wrong, tell me, please. It's OK, I'm married, and thus never right anyway, so I'm used to it.

'37 Master Deluxe 2dr sedan
'66 Elcamino, 250, 3sp OD
http://greybeard.shutterfly.com/