Hi Guys,
I have followed the cylinder head issue closely for several years.
I spent alot of time checking out a design for a performance head and researched many head designs used over the years. I cut a Duggan head apart to check it out.I have spent time with Frank Duggan and spoken to Mike Kirby.
From far off New Zealand we do not get heavily influenced by just
American engineering but various countries.
Patterns for a water jacketed head are some of the most complex ones a patternmaker is ever likely to make in his job.
My design was to be crossflow, 2 valve with a large inlet and small exhaust and pushrod.Many hours went into setting it all up
on a block and getting angles sorted etc.
Porosity can be a huge issue if the foundry is not up to the task
and this frustrated Duggan during his manufacturing.
Over a period of 18 months I could see the price of the Vortec 4.2 dropping huge amounts and today $500 will buy one.
Spending $500 gets you a bare casting only for a head never mind the pattern costs etc.
The commitment to produce heads as Mike Kirby has done is huge and to get a realistic return a very high price is required as opposed to a complete 4.2 that has easy HP potential.The market has changed and I see Inliners going in a different direction from 10 years ago.
I take my hat off to anyone who is willing to produce a cylinder head today for a diminishing market at an affordable price.
The situation in Australia is similar where no heads are produced
in any numbers for a market that loved their inline six.
Regards
Alistair Parker