Hello,

Just looking around the net for help with my motor and came across your site. I have a 1969 GMC 1/2 ton pickup with a 292 and 4 speed MT. Last week I had the head rebuilt because I had a burned valve. On top of the head I pulled out the lifters and they didn't look too bad but I decided why not through in a set of lifters and a cam while I have it all apart. Anyways I got it back together and when i fired it up I heard a knocking sound that I had never heard before. I thought maybe the lifters hadn't pumped up yet so I let it run for a little bit but it was still there. I set the timing and the carb and all that good stuff to see if that helped but it didn't. I pulled the spark plug wires off one at a time to see if I had a stretched connecting rod but the noise was still there. I tried running it without the fuel pump. And I even tried putting in another set of new lifters. Nothing seems to help and I'm running out of ideas. When I use a broom stick to try and isolate the noise it seems like it is running down the cam side of the engine and it is really bad when you place the end on the timing cover. I cant believe timing gears would make a knocking noise like that. The only other thing i can think of is two of the rocker arms shoot oil with quite a bit of pressure out hole on the rocker arm. But i looked at all the wholes and none of them lined up so i didn't think that was a problem. Anyways any help would be greatly appreciated.