I'm kind of new here. Met some of you at the Jack Halton - Mid Atlantic Meet in PA a few weeks ago. I was going to put a V8 in my StepVan until then. I was talked out of it luckily

I have the 1972 13.5 foot Aluminum Step Van, see Jack Halton - Mid Atlantic Meet pictures. I have a well run 250 in it currently which runs good, except for a loud tapping in the head, and have a used 292 sitting on my garage floor ready to be rebuilt and tweaked. I bought the Leo S. book and have been through it a few times. Seems most of the info pertains to HP gains and racing. I'd like to get as much torque as possible out of my 292 so it hauls my big heavy Step Van around easily and later a 10-12 foot enclosed trailer. Maybe do a burn out or two and shoot some flames out the back, LOL. I've changed the 4.11 rear ring and pinion to a 3.42 and an Auburn Posi unit. It's really not as peppy as when i had the 4.11 R/P in it, so really need the Torque upgrade. I plan to go from the 3 speed on the tree to a 700R4. I've got a 1985 Caprice 700R4, wondering if it will bolt right up or does it need an adapter or shaft changes?

So far from my limited experience it seems I need to get:

flat top pistons, need to do a .60 over on the block, looking for 9 or 10:1 compression right?

head work somewhere, or a lump port maybe, shave the head a bit

Stovebolt split manifold

hotter cam, but not sure which one

Offy intake, 3X1 will fit better then the 4 barrel because of the dog house issues again and looks neater, The Van needs more neatness ;\)

seems I have to do something about the passenger motor mount, is this available aftermarket or do I have to make it?

Anything else or am I totally wrong with the info I have collected from the book and the search button?

Still waiting for conformation on my membership in the club, check still hasen't cleared.

Thanks in advance,

Mooney
Dillsburg, PA