Hi all, I wuz gone for a month, come back, and all these posts I missed!

I wasn't screwin' off though -- I got the Howell 258ci TBI conversion kit stuffed into my 1963 Rambler Classic wagon. I got the kit for very cheap from a generous fellow AMCer who bought it for a project two years ago that never materialized.

Project is here, with photos:

http://wps.com/AMC/1963-Rambler-Classic-550-Cross-Country/Howell-TBI/index.html

The wagon has a 1970 AMC 232ci in it, which had been 100% LPG until July this year. Built it in 1988. Rings are still excellent, but the valves were recessed, a bit burned and leaking. 20 years, can't complain!

This spring/summer I switched "back" to gasoline and stuck an old Carter YF over the hole where the Impco CA125 was (original iron manifold.)

In August I pulled the head and had the local shop do a stock valve job. I'd collected the "modern" parts that the Howell kit wants (and any sensible AMC six wants :-) the 81-up aluminum intake and exhaust, etc. It's got a BBD base...

With the new head I jumped into the TBI kit. It all bolted on without hacking at it (since the engine determines the harness layout it was fine.

It started right up with one problem (return line hose bend had pinched over time) and for now, I'm driving it with the totally wrong (rich) maps for the Jeep 258.

I made an "adjustable MAP" jobbie and that helped a lot, though of course it's a crock. 2mpg is 2mpg though and plugs are beige not chocolate!

I'm buying Moates' AutoPROM kit and will tune this sucker up ASAP.

Next I plan on doing my 63 Rambler AMerican (with the old Nash-can 195.6 OHV motor) out of junkyard parts.

Both of these motors, mileage is the goal, they're my daily drivers and the wagon is the work horse (trekked up to Burning Man in the Nevada desert with it, hauling three people and a trailer load of crap for a week, 1300 miles).

I'm working up to having the knowledge to built up the Navarro turbo Rambler six, which will be port injection and all custom and performance, not mileage!

Anyone have any experience with the Moates AutoPROM? This is for a GM ECM 1227747, a pre-OBD1 TBI computer....

Last edited by tom jennings; 09/28/08 03:14 PM.